Beginning and Final Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning and Final Markers

Rick received a question about marking files and then chopping them up into pieces. It would seem that the documentation may not be clear on the lack of a requirement for a marker at the very beginning of the first track and the very end of the last track. Those markers are not required as they are implied by the program; here is Ricks response to the query:

xxxxx,

Thanks for your comments. You are right you don't need those beginning and final markers. We will be updating the manual and this is definitly a place that needs some updating.

There is one reason why you might want a begining marker though, that is if you want the first song to be named something different than the name of the file. Otherwise it takes the name of the entire wave file as the name of the first song.

Rick

keywords: chop file into pieces markers, chop markers
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-13-2007, 09:59 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Hi Craig -

I am pretty sure it numbers the first cut 01, second one 02, etc. At least it does that if you don't tell it to preserve the original file. I assume it does the same if you tell it to preserve the original file also. To give it a different name, you have to type the name in the box. At least that's the way mine is working.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

I think that a dialogue box pops up and gives you a choice of numbering conventions that the system can use. I recall that there are three choices, but I forget exactly what they are; maybe numbers, letters and marker names? Anyway, it does have some flexability. I think that it may default to numbers. I do not remember where in the process that you are given the choice to name the files users supplied names.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
        Otherwise it takes the name of the entire wave file as the name of the first song.
        Right - I just meant about the first cut not getting numbered. I believe the first track is the "01" or "A" cut, not the filename.

I may have misunderstood what Rick was saying, but I thought he said that the first cut took the file name, and the second cut was numbered. I was just saying the first cut is numbered also.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

I think that you are right, Dan. I am not sure what Rick is referring to there.

Comment

I always use the 01. (Song Title) as the marker for the first track, because I leave a one second mute before each track starts, so the delay between tracks is the same on playback. I think this requires a track end marker, to keep them of equal length.

There probably is an easy way to do this automatically, but this works for me.

Comment

I always use a marker before the first track and after the last track (again, to have a short amount of silence before the track start and to chop off any tail at the end.

I always label them "01-Title of First Song", "02-Title of Second Song", etc. Then, when I chop the big wav file to individual songs, DC lets me give a name for the first cut (which is the little bit of silence at the beginning before the first marker). I just call this "Start". I call the last marker "End"

Then I normalize, quantize, and chop. When I've finished, I just delete "Start.wav" and "End.wav" and I'm left with an numerically sorted list of songs in the folder. When I do the same for side B (assuming this is an album or a cassette), I just start labeling with the next number (e.g. "06-Title of First Song on Side B", "07-Title of Second Song on Side B").

When I get ready to burn these to CD, I just add all the songs to my CD compilation in Nero, which strips off the numbers and just leaves the titles in the correct order (but puts the numbers in the artist field). I then make sure only the first track has a 2 second gap and set the remaining songs to a 0 second gap, so it will play back exactly like the original album. I highlight all the tracks and enter the artist in one fell swoop (which replaces the previously mentioned numbers). If it's a "various artists" compilation, I have to do it one song at a time.

Then I can burn to disk. If then decide to rip that CD to MP3, it will pick up the song title, artist, and track and put it in the MP3 tag (I usually use Nero also to do this).

Anyway, that works for me and I've done a lot of record album to CD conversions using DC6 this way.
              John

Comment

Hmmmm....
                That's a little scary. That is almost exactly the way I operate as well! Do you perform at carnivals as a mind reader?????

GB

Comment

Hmmmm...you must be 57 years old, weigh 189 pounds, and stand 5' 11".

If I'm wrong, then enjoy this fine stuffed bear that cost us, oh, about $0.10. If I'm right, I get to keep your $5.

John

Comment

Originally posted by sus4chord
                    Hmmmm...you must be 57 years old, weigh 189 pounds, and stand 5' 11".

If I'm wrong, then enjoy this fine stuffed bear that cost us, oh, about $0.10. If I'm right, I get to keep your $5.

Still awful scary. Not completely correct, but CLOSE ENOUGH!!!!!!

GB

Comment

sus4chord,

You're way off! Voice can be decieving!

Tried to send picture, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X