Higher Accuracy RIAA and Reverse RIAA curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher Accuracy RIAA and Reverse RIAA curves

Improved RIAA and Reverse RIAA sets of curves having higher accuracy (for use with the paragraphic EQ) can be found at the following link:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=2684

These curves measure to within a dB of the theoretical shape over the 20 Hz to 20 KHz frequency range.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 10:21 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Hey Craig,
    I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but I thought the original RIAA settings were about as close as we could get to the ideal settings. Someone had to ask...

Comment

Well, they were as close as we could get until Rick and I developed a closed form set of equations to generate the exact mathematical model of the system. The model that we have is basically the exact RIAA (and others too) curve. These models will be contained in the next release of the software. You could call these models a reference standard by which to compare any other system.

But for now, the published preset is an improvement in accuracy - - - better than the old presets, yet not as good as having the model itself. It is based on the model, but it is not the actual model itself. So, that is something to look forward to having in the new version. I think that it is safe to say that one can not get closer to the various EQ curves (RIAA, Reverse RIAA, Columbia, 78's with various turnovers) than our mathematical models since they are closed form mathematical expressions of the transfer functions of those analog systems.

It is also worth noting that "more accurate" does not necessarily means "sounds better". In some cases, more accurate may also sound better or worse than the earlier presets. It really depends on the material coupled with a persons indivudual taste. But, if you want super accurate, well, you can have that, especially in the next software release.
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-05-2007, 03:45 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X