DC7 on Vista "not responding"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC7 on Vista "not responding"

I have been trying to run DC7 on Vista Home Premium using an HP a1740n ith 2 GB RAM and a 1.87 GHz Intel processor. It nearly continually freezes ("the program is not responding"). As a result, for the past year I have used the DC7 only for its CD burner (great). I've looked through some of the threads but don't see this particular problem addressed. Is there a fix?

Hi James:
    Have you downloaded the latest version (7.15) from Tracer?
    Brian

Comment

Quoting JamesK:

"Is there a fix?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no "fix" because there is no known problem fitting your description until your posting today. I do not understand why you would let such a problem persist for a year without calling our technical support line to find out what the issue is.

Please do so.

The number is:

1-973-316-9111

or

1-717-764-9240

Ask for me personally. I look forward to your call.

Thanks,

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I've had no problems with DC7 on Vista. Have you loaded the latest update patch? Have you tried reloading it, or even re-downloading it (if that's how you received it?) It might even be rights-related. Try temporarily turning off UAC or re-installing it in administrator mode. Make sure you don't store your WAV files in the program directory itself (Vista sometimes gets picky about that) - use a data directory for your work. Maybe change the temp working directory to something you created yourself.

Several things to try, but I do now that DC7 works fine in Vista.
        John

Comment

Thanks Brian, Craig and Sus4chord: I guess I am optimistic and stubborn to wait this long. I assumed it was a Vista thing that with their continuing stream of patches would cure the difficulty. I have tried reinstalling DC-7 from the CD. I haven't gone after the latest version but will do so ( mine is 7.06). I do save files to a non-program site, but the temp files are in the program. I will try to figure out how to avoid that. I will try these ideas this weekend and take you up on the phone call early next week. I did try calling in last year and was referred to this group, which I joined and then inertia set in. I have been able to do most of what I want using DC6 though the small ticks filter on 7 is what i am most interested in in DC7.
          Thanks for the interest.

Comment

The shipping version of DC7 is 7.15, so you are out of date. You can update simply by downloading the demo version from our website located at www.diamondcut.com. Your registration will "stick". But, I do not think that is the problem. 7.06 worked fine with Vista.

I suspect something with your soundcard driver. I would look to see if it is up to date with Vista in mind by the manufacturer. Also, check what soundcard drivers are set up in the DC7 soundcard preferences. You have a choice of MME and WDM. I would try both and see which ones do not cause a problem.

I would also compare the performance of the system between the motherboard sound chip set and your real sound card. You can switch between them in the soundcard preferences menu. That will help narrow it down.

Comment

The sound card may be the issue. I am using Realtek (generic) card on the machine that has the DC7 installed. I record on an XP machine with the Audiophile 24/96 sound card. I usually complete all the processing at 24/96 on the XP machine at 24/96 mHz and then downsize to 16/44.1 mHz and carry out all the other CD prep activities on the Vista machine. However, I am not sure I have always done that as I didn't see that it was a potential issue. I think the problem may be in trying to work on 24/96 files on the Vista machine with settings for 16/44.1. I have just switched my Vista machine to the higher settings and I will see if it works. I will get back to you. Thanks so much for the help.
              Jim K

Comment

I am not familar with the Realtek chipset, but often motherboard chipsets are limited in performance. I would recommend obtaining a discrete (separate and dedicated, USB, Firewire or internal) sound card to perform serious audio restoration work. Many of them provide full support for MME and WDM drivers as well as sample rates up to 192 KHz and up to 24 bits of resolution.
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I am going to try one recording at 24/96, process it and then do final work, including the Narrow crackle filter on my vista machine. Since I have changed the settings on the vista soundcard to cover 24/96, it may work now where it hadn't before. If not I'll downsample to 16/44.1 and try the same thing. If that is a no-go I'lls consider a better soundcard for the vista machine.I'll report back.

Comment

Working...
                  X