Warped vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped vinyl

Does anybody have a suggestion as to best handle a slightly warped album. The album isn't bad, but there appears to be just enough "lift" caused by the warping so that the stylus is rubbing the sides of the groove. This causes the annoying scuff sound which is really difficult to get rid of using DC5. I'm using a new cartridge with a good stylus so I don't think going to a new stylus will help much. In the help there is a discussion on restoring badly warped 78s which says to put a coin on the head to force the stylus to track harder. I don't need to do that as I can adjust the tracking with my turntable but and the warping isn't that bad but I'm not sure whether to increase the tracking or back off on the tracking so the stylus rides higher in the groove.

Any opinions would be welcome.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-27-2019, 11:19 AM.

Re: Warped vinyl

Hi Bob:
    Back in my radio days, every turntable had a "hocky-puck" for an accessory. The "puck" was a circular (the diameter of a record lable) metal weight with felt padding on the bottom and a hole in the center (just slightly larger than the center post of the turntable) and weighing around 3-4 lbs. The weight was just enough to push the record down to keep it flat and, so long as the hole was exactly in the center of the puck, it wouldn't induce "wow" into the turntable's speed or hurt the record or stylus. I think Techniks made one of these a few years ago as part of their turntable accessory line, but they may have dropped the whole line since then. If a high-end audio shop can't provide one, you might try cruising the isles at Home Depot for a make-do -- such as a sanding disk for a electric drill (or anything for a drill that would have been dynamicly balanced). Hope this helps
    Brian

Comment

THis may make some people shudder, but here goes.
      Get two pieces of glass slightly bigger than the record. Put the record in between them and put it flat, out in the sun for a little while. Works best in summer. After a half-hour or so, check on it by lifting the top glass.

If it's not flat, add some more time. This has worked great for me on warped vinyl; just don't overdo it or the grooves will get destroyed (I assume).

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Bob
        Here's a link to a website with plans for making such an item. The guy also sells it ready-made for around $50 (I have no connection with him). You might also check e-Bay under "record weight" or "spindle clamp".

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/puck.html

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan, your idea is interesting however with the temperatures up here in New England this week I don't think it will work until a few months later in the year. I'm afraid the platter will more than likely freeze to the glass with the weather we've had lately.

I did find a weight on the Garage-a-records site just like the one you linked me to Brian at about the same price. Reading about them brings up another question, do you guys use one regularly on all records? From what I read about these spindles they kind of sound like a good accessory to use.

Thanks again.

Comment

Pluses would be reduction of any possible slipage between album and turntable and some dampening of vibrations/harmonics etc.

Downside would be probably some increase in wear and tear on the turntables motor and bearings from the extra weight.

A lot of the high end "perfectionist" turntables have them as standard features and recommend using them all the time. Probably can't go really wrong either way - but if you have a warped record it's a great accessory.

Brian

Comment

I wouldn't try the glass thing on anything that was generally fixable, but I had a couple of vinyls that were so warped they looked like parabolas, and they were unplayable. This made them flat as a board.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

BobJ: A word of caution about placing the vinyl disc between glass and warming in the sun. I bought a stereo disc in 1957 and to my dismay found it to be warped, slightly "dished" and in those days there was no such thing as returning records to the store. I very carefully placed the treasured disc between to pieces of 3/8" plate glass 13" square and allowed it to warm in the English springtime sun. After the disc flattened I took the package indoors and allowed it to cool slowly overnight. Next morning I removed the disc and to my horror found that the disc was flat but had severely distorted radially and was unplayable-- there were a least 20 different radii!
                Be cautious regarding the amount of "warmth." I never dared to try it again.
                m

Comment

...and you can forget about the groove walls retaining their intended shape or parallel relationship!

Comment

Hey guys,

One thing I found to cause records to warp. If you work out of one of the record storage boxes that you buy (I got mine from Boxes Unlimited), It's a good idea to put a backer-board, like 1/4" masonite, in the back of the box.

I've found that the records will bow, because the box is not strong enough to support the weight when the records lean back. I've had several of the thinner LP's warp because of this. I don't think it happens when the lids are on the box.

Comment

To each his own, but I'm not a big fan of record boxes -- unless you keep keep each box full to capacity and store it vertially. My records are all stored in individual sleeves and jackets and each row is kept absolutely vertical with large/heavy book ends. I think if a record has any opportunity to lean from vertical, over time, you are going to get a warp.

Comment

Brian

You are absolutely right....but, I have around 7,000 albums. I built shelves the full length of my basement, and believe me, there is no leaning room.

This is funny...I had full record boxes all over the basement, built the shelves, straightened up the basement, and now I have boxes full of records all over the basement again, and no room to build any more shelves. I bet I'm not the only one with this problem....we only have a narrow walkway to the washer & dryer.

I don't think I have a problem with the boxes full and the lids on. The problem seems to be...all of the open boxes I work out of in my computer room (another messy area, but I know where everything is), and I've only noticed it with the thinner LP's. Now I use backer boards, and haven't noticed any problem.

Haven't reached the point where I've had to put a lot of records in the oven (even though I might need it for storage).

Good talking to you.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster:
                          Your comments jogged my memory back to a classical music station I worked for many years ago. They had quite a few boxed sets which, if only to preserve the liner notes, they wanted to keep with the records. To avoid warped vinyl they just changed how they kept the records in the boxes. First, we put the records in the TOP of the box and then turned the bottom of the box around so it went into the top first - instead of the edges of the bottom going in first as normal. In this way, the bottom of the box held the records tight against the inside of the top of the box. The boxes were then always kept vertical.

It took up a bit more space on the shelf but certainly made keeping the records vertical a lot easier. Help any?
                          Brian

Comment

Hey Brian

Great Idea! Never gave that a thought.

Man....what a job I have now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Brian

You are absolutely right....but, I have around 7,000 albums. I built shelves the full length of my basement, and believe me, there is no leaning room.

This is funny...I had full record boxes all over the basement, built the shelves, straightened up the basement, and now I have boxes full of records all over the basement again, and no room to build any more shelves. I bet I'm not the only one with this problem....we only have a narrow walkway to the washer & dryer.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife can relate. In our old house, I converted three closets to record storage. We built a new house, complete with a 10x12 storage room for my records and photography equipment. I have a modest amount of LP's compared to you - 1500 or so. I have about 2500 78's though. I wouldn't let the movers touch a single record, I moved them all. When I filled the back of the van for the first of three trips to transport the 78's, I noticed the van was squatting. I did a quick calculation and realized I had over 1,000 pounds of records in the back!

That's not as bad as Barry Hanson, aka Dr. Demento. His collection tops half a million records. He collapsed the floor in one of his bedrooms from the weight.

Here's to understanding spouses.

Happy collecting.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X