Record from a CD into the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record from a CD into the program

I have received a cd containing raw unprocessed tracks from 78 rpm records that I now want to record into the PC and prosess using the program. Do I need to record the tracks from the cd-player into the hard disc, track by track, or is there a function that allows me to ?copy? the whole cd into the program? If so, that will save me a great lot of time! Does any of you know about this and how to do it?

Hope to hear from you!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-26-2019, 08:28 PM.

Assuming that the CD is Red Book CD audio, use the Rip CD feature found under the file menu. That will yield a perfect copy of the audio source. Using a CD player would introduce some noise and distortion into the process whereras Rip CD does not.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

And if it's a data cd with the files on it, you can browse the CD and copy them like any other file to the directory you choose.

I recently was given a CD and thought it was an audio cd. I ripped it using the rip tracks feature (which it did for some reason), and there were these very short gaps in the file. After trying to clean that up, I was talking to the guy who gave me the CD and he said it was a data CD, so I just copied the files and all was fine. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a data cd because windows media player, etc. want to play anything you put in the drive.

Dan
      Last edited by Dan McDonald; 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Record into the PC

HI!

I have now recorded some tracks from the cd into the computer using the rip cd ftracks-function. The tracks are then automatically saved on the library. From there I chose the mulitfilter and find some good filter settings and hear the changes using preview button. But then - after I push the button "run filter" - nothing happends.How can I save and retrive the final results?? Do I need to have the tracks saved in that library, I would like to have the tracks ready and available on the c-disc together with my previous music files. Can any help??

Best regards
        jan

Comment

When to convert to mono?, good pre-sets to "sweeten"

HI!

Now I have finally found out how to do it myself! Not bad, the path had to be correct, of course!!

BUT, I think my next question will be a better one: When to convert to mono?
          The CD I have mentioned before contains mono recordings recorded in stereo, that means old 45's and 78's. Should I start with converting it to mono first, or should I do some filtering, ex. impulsive noise (EZ), hum-filter before I convert to mono, and then run cont. noise filter, low pass filter and EQ? (that's the filters and running order I normally use for 45's and lp's)
          Also, do I need to make a "finger print" before I run the cont. noise filter, or can I just adjust the knobs when listening to the results??

AND; for 78's; here I use the same filters as for 45's/LP's, but add eq and VVA to the recording; that means: 1. inp. noise filter (EZ), 2. hum-filter, 3. cont. noise filter (starting with a "finger print" of the outer grooves, then 4. high pass, 5. some EQ and finally 6. the Virtual Valve Amp. to "sweeten up".
          Any good ideas for settings on the eq and the VVA??

Many questions here, maybe, can anyone answer??

Hope to hear from somebody soon!!

Best regards
          Jan Myren
          NORWAY

Comment

The method that I use involves keeping the file in stereo through the completion of the first step - the impulse noise reduction step. After that has been completed, then I convert to mono and perform the rest of the noise reduction and restoration process. The impulse filter is slightly more effective on binaural signals than on mono ones and so that is my rationale.

Comment

Rip from a cd into the program

HI!
              Have just received a cd from a friend containing a recording of a whole lp album that I want to restore. The cd contains of 2 tracks, one track containing side 1 of the lp, track 2 the other side of the lp. Some noise from the record is included before the music starts, so I can make a noise print when running cnf. BUT; since the recording is made on a stereo rack consisting of a turnable connected into a Philips CD player with recording function I have no idea about the recording itself and if it is recorded at 44,1 kHz. Is this important in any way or is there something I should do before I start the restoration prosess? So far I have just ripped the cd into the dc7. Hope any of you will come up with some good hints before I start, so that the final result will be best possible. Think in the future that I will have similar jobs with material recorded raw from 78's into CD. Hope to hear from you! Best regards Jan (NORWAY)

Comment

Jan - if it's recorded to a music CD (that's what it sounds like) then it should be at 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

The way you can tell is to see if it plays in a regular CD player. If it doesn't, then it might be a data cd. If that's the case, then you can just put the cd in your computer drive and copy the files to your hard drive.

Dan
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks; I think you are right, this is a music cd recorded on a "normal" hifi cd-player with recording functions! My friend have no computer at all, but records his music from lp's and 78's into cd this way. So you mean that the tracks are ready for de-clicking and further processing after being ripped into the program? No steps in between?? (PS, have also put a question in another tread about the phono-pre-amp. Maybe you can come up with comments and suggestions on that question as well??) Thanks anyway! Best regards Jan (NORWAY

Comment

Hi Jan -

Yes, if that is the best way to get the music to you, then once you rip the tracks from the CD, you are ready to begin cleanup and restoration.

The trick is to get the highest quality to start with. 16-bit, 44.1 is very good quality.

If you have DC7 and a flat preamp and turntable, then you would probably see(hear) a benefit to having them loan their records to you and you transcribing them at 24-bit and higher sampling rates, but if that is not an option, then certainly cd-quality is a great option to have for music that you can't get otherwise.

My guess is that you will be very happy with the results you get (after you work with the files a while). If you move to a flat preamp, then you'll want to do all your work that way, but without a comparison experience, you should be just fine.

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

HI!

Have by now ripped some tracks from a cd containing recordings from 78 rpm's. The recordings are done using the cto 1000 - flat recordings.
                      These are recordings from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Can anyone please tell me what to do further. Am I first going to "build up" new curves, or shall I do any kind of de-clicking/de-hissing first. I need a "step by step" guide from now. (Using DC7 of course)
                      AND; does it matter that I am now working with tracks ripped from cd's recorded using a flat pre-amp and in stereo compared with having the records myself and record them myself connecing the cto into my digital sound-card? Hope to hear from someone!
                      Best regards
                      Jan Myren, NORWAY

Comment

I am a little confused - - - are you saying that you created CDs of 78s using the CTP (flat) preamplifier? I am confused by the first step in your process. Please clarify that a little and then I can make a recommendation. Usually, people connect their turntable to the CTP and the output of the CTP is then fed directly into a soundcard line level input and transferred to a computer hard drive drive. It would seem that you did it differently (which is ok) - - - maybe you used the CTP feeding directly into a CD recorder? And then, maybe you ripped that CD onto your hard drive? Let us know.
                        Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-08-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

HI, yes, exactly! Think of two different set-ups! The 78's are recorded flat through cto 1000 direvtly to a recordable cd. Then I take this cd and put it into the computer and rip it into the prograp usind "rip cd tracks". Then I first switch to "virtual phono pre-amp", choses "flat pre-amp" on the pre-amp hardware", then "European 78's" on the record type. After this I do the de-clicking using EZ impulse fiter, settings scratch/crackle 50/50. So I convert to mono. Thereafter hi-pass (55/18db) and medianfilter (3 samples)in a multifilter chain to remove rumble and crackle. Then continious noise-filter, and low-pass-filter(10500/12db/Butterworth), at last graphic eq and vitrual valve in a multifulter chain to "fresh up" the sound! What do you think??? Jan

Comment

That is not unsimilar to what I do. But here is one key difference is that I noticed - - - I also set the "Narrow Crackle" slider in the EZ Impulse Filter to 50 or 60. And, if there are strong brass solos on the recording, I click on the "Solo/Brass" mode selector. Often, I find that I can set the three EZ Impulse controls up as high as 60/60/60 on 78s and get slightly better results than I get at 50/50/50. You needs to experiment to find the best settings.

The other thing that I note is that I set the High Pass Filter slightly different than your recommendations. I usually set it for 50 Hz and 24 dB / Octave. But, that will vary somewhat depending on the quality of your turntable and the records that you are working with.

One other thing; when I usually use the artifact suppression mode of the Continious Noise Filter on my worn 78's. Not only does that reduce artifacting, but it also reduces Intermodulation Distortion which was on the worn recording. Generally, I find that an artifacts setting around 600 works quite well for this with the attenuator set for around 50 - - - but experimentation is the best advice.

Comment

If I use the narrow crackle filter in the EZ impulse filter, may I then drop the median filter? May there be "overlapping" if I use both?

AND; do you think it is enough just to choose "European 78's" in therecord type box in the "virtual phono pre-amp"? See in the cto 1000 manual that also the settings in the "parographic eq" is reccomended.....

Comment

Working...
                              X