Version 7 on a PC Simulator on a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 7 on a PC Simulator on a Mac

Has anyone here ever tried either of the Version 7 products (DC7 or Live/Forensics 7) on a PC simulator running on a Mac? If so, how did it work? If not, does anybody have a setup on which they could run a test?

Rick and I (and others) are curious if and how it works in that manner.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

I just got a nice new Mac for work. It's a MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles. I can try it out today or tomorrow (as soon as I figure out how to turn it on).

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

We appreciate that. I take it that the machine came with a PC emulator.

Craig

Comment

I think it did. I have to dig around on the Internet to figure out how it all works. I literally just got it on Friday and have only turned it on once.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Craig -

It turns out it has the boot program built in, but I'd have to purchase windows for it so I don't think I can help out with this.

Sorry about that.

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Yep, you'll need a licensed copy of Windows XP or Vista to use it on the Apple. It comes with boot camp (which just gives you multi-boot capability, running one O/S at a time), but you can also purchase either Parallels or VMWare for the Mac, which lets you run Windows in a Mac Window (just like any other application).

My son just got a new Mac and we did buy a copy of XP Pro ($90 academic rate) and VMWare ($80, if I remember correctly; Parallels is about $50), but I don't know if I'll get a chance to try this out before he heads out to college. If we do, I'll let you know if it's successful or not.
            John

Comment

Right. Our work license only allows installation on computers that come with Windows built in.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

I have DC7 successfully up and running on my Mac Pro using Parallels Desktop for Mac (Build 3224, Dec. 2007) and Windows XP Pro SP2. I have Mac OS X 10.4.11 on the machine and so far DC7 seems to work just like on my true Windows XP machine.

I have not yet digged very deep into every DC7 function, but I can say that it feels and works like on any other Windows system I have used the Diamond Cut software on in the past 10 years.

Comment

Thanks for the report; that is good to know as that inquiry comes to us from time to time.

Craig

keywords: DC7 on Mac, Live/Forensics on a Mac, Diamond Cut Operating on a Mac, Mac running Diamond Cut, Version 7 running on a Mac, running on a Mac

Comment

DC on a PPC Mac

As a side note, I would not recommend using Diamond Cut on a PowerPC Mac with Virtual PC. Too many issues to make it usable. This is based on Beta versions of DC7.
                    "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Comment

Thanks Tim -

So, in summary, it appears that Diamond Cut Version 7 runs ok on a Mac via "Parallels Desktop" but not using "Virtual PC".

Craig

Comment

As stated before, I have not tested every function in detail on my Mac with Parallels. What I quickly checked out seemed to work.

I can imagine that CD grabbing or burning might be a problem, but I have not tested these functions so far.

Comment

Working...
                        X