CTP-1000 Preamp & 2496 Sound Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP-1000 Preamp & 2496 Sound Card

A new install for me...is there a way to control the recording levels in DC7within this configuration? I don't see the means to do so within the Delta Control Panel.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

From the DC7 recording dialog box, there is a set levels in its lower right hand corner. This will work if the sound card supports that feature. I am not familiar with the sound card and so I do not know what it supports. Give it a try - - - let us know if it does.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Theo
      A new install for me...is there a way to control the recording levels in DC7within this configuration? I don't see the means to do so within the Delta Control Panel.
      Theo...
      I've had a 2496 in the past and I believe the output levels are fixed.

Comment

Apparently, the sound card doesn't support that feature as the set level button doesn't work. Overall, I'm getting a pretty decent level. WhileDC7's meters show peak levels of only -20 DB, the actual recordings seem to be higher, around -8 to -10 DB.
        "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Hey Theo -

Yes, I had the same issue originally - with the delta fixed input levels and the ctp's fixed output levels. Some transfers are noticeably quieter than others, but they seem quite nice if recorded at 24/96.
          Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to Lord Theo for starting this thread and to everyone who responded. I was thinking of using this combination. Thanks for the head's up on a potential problem.

One of my computers has the M-Audio Delta 2496 installed. I don't have the CTP-1000, but was planning on purchasing it.

As much as I would hate to add more electronics in the signal path, I have a small Behringer mixer that I could insert between the phono amp and the sound card to adjust the level. I do mostly 78 restoration, so I don't think any signal degradation introduced by the mixer would do noticeable harm.

BTW, my main restoration station uses a Terratec DMX 6Fire internal card. It has a breakout box with phono input, which is interestingly a flat preamp. Levels are no problem. This card got good reviews when released. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

This is purely subjective, but I think the M-Audio 2496 sounds a little better. That's why I was thinking about getting another setup. If I get the CTP-1000, I'll post my impressions.

Doug

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to Lord Theo for starting this thread and to everyone who responded. I was thinking of using this combination. Thanks for the head's up on a potential problem.

One of my computers has the M-Audio Delta 2496 installed. I don't have the CTP-1000, but was planning on purchasing it.

As much as I would hate to add more electronics in the signal path, I have a small Behringer mixer that I could insert between the phono amp and the sound card to adjust the level. I do mostly 78 restoration, so I don't think any signal degradation introduced by the mixer would do noticeable harm.

BTW, my main restoration station uses a Terratec DMX 6Fire internal card. It has a breakout box with phono input, which is interestingly a flat preamp. Levels are no problem. This card got good reviews when released. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

This is purely subjective, but I think the M-Audio 2496 sounds a little better. That's why I was thinking about getting another setup. If I get the CTP-1000, I'll post my impressions.

Doug

Comment

Working...
              X