Can I use DC7 to blend two channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use DC7 to blend two channels

I am working with a two channel (stereo) audio file that was created using two microphones to record a conversation. The mics were set up to achieve maximum separation of the voices. The result is that the conversation sounds like ping-pong and would not really work for a radio broadcast, even though this is stereo FM.

My question: Is there a way to somehow blend the channels so there is no extreme separation, but yet the end result does have a sense that the parties are sitting across from one another. If that's not possible, is there some way to combine the channels so that both sides of the conversation are kept and the end result is quite mono.

I have in the past taken a stereo file recorded/created by a single channel microphone using DC7 Record capability, split this file into two mono files and then recreated a pseudo stereo file by copying the Left channel into both channels of the new file. That worked because there was nothing but residual noise in the right channel.

However, I now have valid information in both channels so can't do this.

Can anyone help? Merci, thanks, gracias, etc.

eric
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-26-2019, 08:21 PM.

Channel Blender - - - Under the Effects Menu

That is exactly what the Channel Blender does and it can be done in a number of ways including with frequency selectivity if desired. The Channel Blender is found under the effects menu. Download the demo version found at www.diamondcut.com and give it try.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Problem solved

Craig - many thanks. I had never used the blend feature before and applying this to blend 70% of each channel filled in each channel while still giving a reasonable stereo effect. I will be slotting in music into parts of this interview and the cuts will be in real stereo. Since they go into the blended interview, inserting them should preserve them in all their stereo glory.

Thanks again for your help. With this software I am becoming almost completely independent of the station's studio for setting up my show.

regards,

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric,

Just another tip, if you ever want to blend music on top of dialogue, you can use the paste mix feature under the edit menu. Of course, you can also paste crossfade music into dialogue as well.

Craig

Comment

Blending in music to dialogue

hi Craig: thanks for your most recent tip. you're saying I can use the "Paste Mix" feature to add a music bed to a voice track or vice versa. I must try that. The manual says I can adjust the levels of the mix I can arrive at a point where the music won't overwhelm the voice. Now to try. We all learn about new features in complex software when the "need to know" point is reached - usually in moments of panic. thanks again,

Eric

Comment

Yes, that is what I am saying. With Paste Mix, you have full control of the levels of both audio sources. You can adjust the loudness level of the music and/or the dialogue. And the fade in and fade out feature offer many adjustable parameters too like fade in time, start and stop levels, log or lin curves, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X