X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuos Noise Filter Sample Gone?

Group,

Question on using the Continous Filter.

I have a Continuous Noise Filter in a Multifiler. I thought that I had saved the sample of noise and the threshold settings by using the "save command in the filter window.
    However, when I used the filter with another record, I did not have the same noise sample "picture" and the threshold settings didn't look the same. All other settings were the saved ones, also the other settings in my multifilters were correct.

Does the continuous noise filter need a new "sample" each time it's used ?

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-26-2019, 08:24 PM.

Hi Marc,
    After you apply a noise sample to the Continuous Noise Filter, it will show that sample in detail as long as you keep the filter open. But the next time you open up the filter it will only show an approximation of that sample.

I would suggest getting a different noise sample to use with the Continuous Noise Filter for every record you restore. I have acquired many records from so many different locations and have found the noise floor is different in all of them. The noise floor can vary greatly because of several factors. The quality of the record, its age, the amount of wear and/or abuse each record has had, and there are even differences from one manufacturer to another. I would go one step further and to also suggest to take a sample & apply the Continuous Noise Filter for the left & right channels of each record independently as well. Just the difference between the left & the right on some of your discs may surprise you! Following this procedure will give you the best results for each disc.
    Last edited by DJBohn; 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I echo what DJ says, but are you saying that the preset looks different or that it's not saving the preset? I think the various settings save.

I always save a preset if I'm going to use CNF in a multifilter. DJ is right in that virtually every situation is different, but I have a lot of presets I save for similar situations, and start with them, then slightly modify them for particular sources.

I save the preset with a name I understand, like "Pete Seeger Audience Tape - 1954" and then use it in a multifilter. The next time I deal with a tape like that one, I would pull up that preset and then alter the various parameters and save that modified version.

It should be saving the attenuation attack, etc. settings for you.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Follow On

Dan and DJ

When I save the continuous filter and then recall it, the sample is , as DJ said an approximation. It also seems that the threshold level (blue line above red noise) isn't at the same level as before (could be wrong here).

Couple of comments.....I agree that the record should be resampled, but does it have to be ?

Also, if the display of the noise is now an approximation, does that mean that the continuous filter isn't going to perform the same as it would with the original sample ?

Regards,
        Marc

Comment

Craig and/or Rick will have to answer about the math. I always assumed that sampling and saving a preset was as good as sampling just before you run it, but I might be wrong. I was wrong once before in my life.

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
          X