pops and clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pops and clicks

Started this process several years ago and have enjoyed some of my work since. However, just bought some Usher speakers and they just pointed out that some of my efforts in restoration are wanting. Or I have become more anal. At any rate I would like to learn the how to.

The particular vinyl that is challenging me at the moment is a Dixieland album that has a lot of brass. If all of the background noise is removed, the trumpet/trombone/bass sax sounds are distorted. If some of the background stuff is left, no distortion but the results are singularly unwanted.

The process: start with expert noise filter 1, 60, 55. Next I added the EZ Impulse Noise 45, 70 0 which did not seem to change the restoration much. Tried reverse file and ran the Expert Noise again - same settings. Next did a CNF 200 400 2048 smoothing 50% overlap. Then RIAA and last added some 20 band graphic with bass boost. More masking than restoring.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanx.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM.

It sounds like you are running a flat transfer.

Do this in order:

1. Create the proper RIAA curve using the VPA. The impulse filters are optimized for a properly EQed signal, not a flat one, expecially when dealing with brass.

2. Bring up the EZ Impulse filter and set the controls as follow:

a. Solo/Brass Mode turned on

b. Scratch set for 50

c. Crackle set for 50

d. Narrow Crackle set for 50

3. Preview and tweek the three parameters for no distortion on brass / solo instruments and yet still rejecting some of the clicks and ticks.

4. Run the filter

5. Reverse the file

6. Run the Filter again

7. Reverse the file back again

8. Use the CNF per normal in Artifact Suppression mode

9. Done
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I've gotten pretty good results setting several of the EZ-Impulse filters into a multi-filter in a chain, sometimes with the same settings on them, but usually with slightly different settings.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks to both. I'll give 'em a try.

Kim

Comment

A friend gave me about 50 Jazz albums; in return I processed and gave him the CD's. I really had to do fine adjustments to keep from introducing "artifacts" in the Brass & Vocal frequencies.

I just purchased DC 7.5, it has a filter that should help in this area. Just for fun, I am going to re-import a few of the CD's, to see if I can do any good. It is possible the amount of original processing might have created some effect, that might make it a problem....I may have to go down to the basement, and dig the original vinyl out (Phew!), and start over again.

This was a tough job, because I don't like Jazz, unless I can whistle a tune to it. I'm sure these albums are worth something to somebody that is a Jazz enthusiast.

Comment

Ringmaster, what is the filter you speak of? is it also on v7.15?

Concerning the jazz vinyls, got some names of both albums and artists. I mite be interested.

Comment

kimtp: I think you mean the new 7.5 version of "DC Live/Forensic Version"; or 7.11 version of DC 7.

I have to go down to my basement, and try to find the LP's. I will have to wait until I see if I have to reload them back into my system for re-processing; this will take a while, but I will keep you in mind, when I finally decide what I have to do. After I do this, I will send you a listing.

Comment

Working...
              X