No announcement yet.

iTunes versus CD Bit Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured an easy way to test this (but it would take some blank cds).
    Rip one of the CDs with Itunes, import to DC7, burn a cd from DC7 and label it CD2.
    Rip the CD 2 with Iturnes, burn a third CD with DC7, label it CD3.
    Rip the CD 3 with Itunes, import into DC7, now check the original and the last one you imported.

If I was going to do this, I'd do it with several different types of content because compression algorithms work differently (or I should say have different effects) with different content. Since you are burning a CD, it would be easy to add about 3-4 different kinds of music.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Ringmaster. I thought I covered the bit rate question back at the beginning (the link covers the basics):
      "The 1411kbps is the data rate for CD playback in real time, not necessarily the rip speed. http://www.mediatechnics.com/cdaudio.htm"

I don't have iTunes on this computer and can't check (I am at home now, Saturday morning local time), but when writing CDs with iTunes there is an automatic volume levelling option. If this is on, it would cause havoc with any comparison testing.

Personally, I would use DC or one of the freeware rippers available if a reliable bit-for-bit copy of a CD to wav is what is desired. You can still import to iTunes at any time, before or after processing with DC.

The only use that I can see for iTunes is to download from their shop, upload to an iPod or, as in my case, to convert AAC (.m4a) to wav file. Otherwise, I consider it to be extremely intrusive bloatware!

Cheers,
      Bill

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I think you have given me enough information to figure this out, (and you can be sure that I will).

I like the versatility of Importing to DC 7 from my Library, fixing the file, and transfer it back to my Library. There are several good CD ripping programs out there; also, there are other libraries that I feel more comfortable with, one is "dbm2000", that I purchased from Tracer. I will probably switch over to this program; but, I am still puzzled about a few minor issues, and I just can't switch programs until I have it straight in my mind.

I just figured out how to get the "iTunes" Database (Column Set-up, Ripping, Importing & Creating Playlists) working, and I had to create some sort of workable database before Summer, because we do a lot of enternaing outdoors, and I was "spinning my wheels". I feel a little uncomfortable with "iTunes"; and I do plan to switch, but this is a wintertime project, and it's slipping away. First, I have to get it absolutely straight, in my mind, as to whether or not I am doing any hidden conversion when I Import my files to a "known" .wav database.

If I knew everything about Audio Processing, I would be more sure of myself (and not creating myself so many problems). You can be sure I won't do anything, until I know what I am doing!

Thanks for your help.....I'll probably get back "next winter", and let you know the final outcome. Actually, I may be making a big "too do" about nothing.

Comment

Hey Ringmaster -

Good luck with it. Let us know what you find out because we're all interested in what happens with Itunes and any other developments in audio.

I'm like you and not trained in any aspects of engineering. My dad was, and I used to hang out with him a lot when he repaired TVs and radios when I was young, so I picked up some of this, and the rest I learn in this forum by asking questions.

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Ringmaster
            First, I have to get it absolutely straight, in my mind, as to whether or not I am doing any hidden conversion when I Import my files to a "known" .wav database.
            Tracer sells a program called "Integrity" that compares one file to another. This should tell you whether the pre/post import files are different - if won't tell you what was done to it, but if it reports "no change" then you at least know that there weren't any hidden conversions or other changes. Here's the link to their website:

http://www.tracertek.com/dropout-detection-software

Good luck with your project.
            Brian

Comment

Brian:

I have the program, but I did not know that at it checks "Pre/Post" Imports. I just thought it just checked for "drop-outs" and other Imported file inconsistencies.

I will review the help files, but maybe Craig has some input that might save me some time.

Zarat:

I never thought about the "Automatic Volume Leveling"; I will make sure I turn this off when I get around to doing Dan's comparison.

On your 2-20 Post: I wasn't sure if you were saying that 1411kbps is the same as 16-bit; I think you are, but you're not specific. Please don't take this the wrong way; I tend to be a little "blunt", but it's only to make sure that listeners can't "read" anything into what I say. I'm not concerned about "ripping speed" on this post; my main concern is making sure that the "rip" is in the accurate .wav codec. Incidentally, I wasn't able to access your referenced site, using "Windows Explorer".

Thanks for your input,

John
              Last edited by Ringmaster; 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster -

I am sorry, but I can not help you with this - - - I am unfamiliar with that software package.

Craig
                "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Ringmaster:
                  You're correct. Sorry. Got it mixed up with another program. I'll repost when I locate the URL.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X