Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EQ Before CNF ?

Danny,

You stated that you use some EQ (Harmonic Sweet Spot preset in VVA ) before the application of Continuous Noise Filter.

Wouldn't the proper place to EQ be after the CNF ?

Regards,
    Marc

Comment

Marc,

I have tried it both ways. Working on a LP with a higher amount of crackle I found that applying VVA after CNF sometimes would sometimes produce a low level of artifacts from the crackle in spite of running the Narrow Crackle filter on the area I select to take my noise sample from.

Now I qualify my routine by my file at a sample/bit rate of 96/24. This lets me run the EZ Impulse filter using either the Aggressive or Very Aggressive preset with the Solo/Brass box checked, as nearly all of my work is on older gospel LP's of which voice is predominant. I rarely hear any distortion produced from those impulse settings and I attribute that to the high resolution of the file, allowing EZ Impulse to be more discriminate.

As for CNF, I use the Typical 33 RPM preset except I increased FFT to 16324, then take my noise sample. That FFT in combination with running it on a "high-res" file lets me be fairly aggressive with the threshold level without choking the "life" out of the audio and not producing any audible artifacts. After that CNF run, I'll run it again in Artifact Suppression, taking my sample from the same area as before, also increasing FFT to 16324. Normally, my routine results in a nice sound with natural sibilance and "cleaner" vocals, but reasonably clean of impulse and continuous noise.
      Last edited by quartet87; 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM.
      Danny Gilbert

Comment

Danny,

Thanks for the comments. I can now understand the reason that you tried the VVA before and/or after CNF.

Regards,
        Marc

Comment

Working...
        X