Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the new EZfilters

HI!
    As a "traditional" user of DC7 I have now paid some attention to some of the new features on the software; the EZ filters. So far I am surprisingly positive to some of the results, restoring some old eletrics and accoustc 78's from the 20's. First the 78's are carfully recorded flat in stereo into the PC using the PA 928 and the 2.5 Stanton styli. I have then made myself a multifilter consisting of these filters; 1. Phono pre-amp; pre-set. "from flat signal to European 78's" 2. the EZ clean, where I use the pre-sets that suits best according to the wear on the records. 3. File conversation (stereo to mono). 4. 20 band graphic eq and the pre set "low mid range bump-up". 5. Paragraphic eq, where I have "lifted" the 100 hz up to 8.00. 6. EZ enhance, there I use the pre-set "audiophile quality". To make a "final touch" I use xxxxxxxxxx and their reverb pre-set "live ambience" that makes the sound more soft and clear. The final results are in many cases very good. What I like to know is: 1. How does the EZ clean hiss filter work so well, since there is taken no "sound sample" or "noise print" from the individual 78's? 2. Have anybody found a good "live ambience" filter among the presets in reverb on DC7 that works well? I think most of them have a kind of "tin can" sound. 3. Does anyone have some experience using the EZ filters similar to my experience so far, to share with me or any comments to my way of using it? Looking forward to hear from all of you! Best regards from Jan, NORWAY
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 05:31 PM.

To answer one of your questions, the EZ Clean filter takes its own noise fingerprint(s) on a continious basis throughout the processing or previewing of the file. It is always "sniffing" the audio signal and calculating a new fingerprint on the fly. It adjusts itself to account for changing noise environments. This process is called an adaptive one. You will find adaptive filters in several places in the Diamond Cut suite, especially the Forensics suite.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

HI!
      Thank you for answer on one of my questions! Since the hiss filter makes it's own fingerprint during the file, I guess that's the reason why every file then starts off with a few bars with digital artifacts before it is "stabilized". Is there a reason to avoid this, since a CD contaiing tracks with all songs starting off with those "strange artifact sounds" is not quite well. Do you also mabye have some comments to my idea of restoring such records this way and my choise of filters to use??
      Best regards from Jan (NORWAY)

Comment

I have not seen that problem because my restorations always seem to have enough noise at the lead-in groove for the EZ Clean Hiss filter to home in on as the first noise print.

So, maybe you are not leaving enough lead-in groove in place. 2 seconds worth of lead in groove are a good practice to follow. You can eliminate this lead in later.

I have also heard that some folks copy a small piece of the file (having a few bars) onto the beginning of the file. After the process is complete, then they cut it out.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X