Conversion of MP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion of MP3

I have an MP3 file of length 3:51:48. It is bitrate 192kbps, stereo, with a sample rate of 44Khz.

When I try to import it to DC7 I end up with a WAV file of length 34:57.

Is there anything inherent in the characteristics of the MP3 file that is causing this error? I also tried to use an outboard converter and obtained the same result.

Help. Thanks.

Audio Yoda
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM.

Hi,

I have never observed that one; I believe that the .wav created should be the same size as the mp3, perhaps with a very small framing quantization error.

Hopefully, somebody else knows about this. I am thinking that the header in the mp3 file may be corrupt, but who knows.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Audio Yoda.

There is a FreeWare program that will give you all kinds of information about your MP3's. It will also show if the MP3 file has a bad last frame. It is called EncSpot (Encoder Spotter). Version 2 is available at this URL:

http://download.cnet.com/EncSpot/300...-10062007.html

If you do a google search on, it there is also a version 2.2 Beta if you wish to try that one.

As for repair of your MP3, you could try another FreeWare program called MP3 Repair Tool. It can be found at:

http://www.drtag.de/en/description_mp3rt.htm

That tool will allow you to remove Tags or/and one or more frames (26ms per frame) at the beginning and/or at the end of the problem MP3 file.

I have found both of these programs essential for MP3's, especially if they are Internet downloads or from your friends.

Comment

Just another note:

Noticing your MP3 is nearly 4 hours in length, you may wish to make use of another FreeWare program that will allow you to perform frame based editing of MPEG layers 2 & 3. The program will allow you cut large MP3 down to shorter segments, say 1/2 hour or 1 hour shows if you wish, trim out sections you don't want, or make separate MP3's of special sections you may want to keep in different files. The program is called MP3 Direct Cut and can be found at:

http://download.cnet.com/MP3DirectCu...html?tag=mncol

P.S. - You gotta love any usable program that is free!

Comment

Originally posted by DJBohn
          If you do a google search on, it there is also a version 2.2 Beta if you wish to try that one.

Hi DJ:
          Thanks for the links. Both look interesting. For what its worth, the 2.2 Beta is no longer available - it sends you to the website of the software's creator which is no longer active. This also kills the link from the software to "Online Help" -- you didn't happen to have downloaded the .hlp file at some time?
          thanks
          Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,
            Sorry, I don't have a copy of the help file. I didn't know it was unavailable anymore either!

But the program is pretty easy to use. Just click on the file of MP3's you would like to check over in the tree on the left. The program icon in the upper right corner will wiggle and shake around for a while (which is neat to watch!), until it has scanned all of the files in your selected folder. After it has finished scanning them, much of the information will already be displayed. The quality rating is a nice feature.

Also after the scanning is completed, you can double click on any one of the listed MP3's and it will give you even more information about them, including a bar graph for VBR MP3's that shows the percentages of the different bit rates within that selected MP3.

I've used this program for many years and really like it. It's amazing how many different encoders it can identify through its scan, as well as the MP3 quality those encoders give.

Comment

Thanks DJ.
              I had figured out the tree part - but getting the additional info on files by double clicking is useful.
              Brian

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try these. This forum , and its particpants, are great...

Audio Yoda

Comment

Working...
                X