De-Clipper spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Clipper spikes

Why is it if you run the de-clipper using the digital wav overload preset on a highlighted portion of a file (with a copy of the file open in the destination window), you get a small spike at the end of the highlighted portion in the destination file? The spike seems to either go down or up. This seems to be when using the digital wav preset, not in the analog preset, and happens to me about 90% of the time. This may have been why I went to manual interpolation to begin with (described in the 'dc8' request thread).

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-23-2019, 05:26 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Hi Dan,

Interesting - - - I would say that is a bug. It looks like it is not stitching the interpolated signal back onto the waveform in its proper phase. What value of sample rate and resolution are you using so that we can reproduce this?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Craig -

It's just 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. Using the Digital Wavefile De-Clipper preset. I don't get the spike when I use the analog preset. And it only seems to happen if you select a portion of the source file so that you're de-clipping the destination file. I just replicated it with a completely different source file (also at 16-bit, 44.1) to make sure it wasn't just a wacky file.
      Last edited by Dan McDonald; 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

I guess you are saying that it only happens when you "Selectively" De-Clip a portion of the Source File. Does it happen if you run the De-Clipper on the entire file?

Comment

Yes, that is when it happens. I don't know about an entire file - let me check on that.

ok... No - when I de-clip the entire file, I don't see it, either within the file at peaks or at the very end. I tried it without doing anything to the clipped file first, then reduced the gain on the source (clipped file) by 5 dB and still don't see it. Then, just to check, I selected the worst area again, and got a large upward spike. Sometimes I see a downward spike.

Dan
          Last edited by Dan McDonald; 05-02-2009, 02:44 PM.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

I think that it is a bug and I think that I know what can cause it, especially since it does not occur when you process an entire file. We will look into it.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X