• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the clarification Craig.

Regards,
    Marc

Comment

Buttons ?

With Regard to the Channel Selection Buttons....

I'm not finding just where you select for play/processing one channel over another (hidden in front of me?). Could someone point them out ?

Regards,
      Marc

Comment

Whoops !

Group....found them ! Right in Front of me.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

Let us know how you make out with the stereo simulation.

Craig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I've got a recording that I was wanting to do stereo simulation and wondering how to go about it, so this is great timing. I'll have to try some these techniques this weekend.
            John

Comment

More Stereo

Group,

I tried the Stereo Method on some Edison Cylinder's. I could hear the stereo effect with the time delay part, but the comb filters (both type) didn't do much.

My sound system has the two speakers about 3 feet from my head...maybe a better sound room would help to hear the effect ?

Regards,
              Marc

Comment

Hi Marc -
                I think it's partially limited frequency response/bandwidth in the cylinders. I found the same thing earlier (see earlier post).
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, I think that makes sense. The "tines" are widely spaced from around 200 Hz to around 8000 Hz. So, since most stereo sound comes from the higher frequency portion of the audio spectrum (low frequencies tend to disperse) a cylinder with its limited bandwidth would probably produce a minimal stereo effect using the Stereo Simulator paragraphic EQ presets.

But - - -

Perhaps if you carefully re-arrange the alternating tines and place all of them between 400 Hz to around 3000 Hz, you might achieve a more pronounced effect on your cylinders. It could be an interesting experiment.

Craig
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM.

Comment

tine time

Craig,

What sort of spacing/frequency would you use between say 150-3000 Hz ?

Would you start with a fundamental and then use even/odd harmonics ?

What delta between the left/right ?

The default settings are 160/200 or so. The notches don't seem to be harmonics though.

Regards,
                    Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

I do not think that the spacing between the notches needs to be harmonically related.

Perhaps you might consider doing the following - - - take the bandspread between 400 Hz to 3,000 Hz which is 2,600 Hz. Then, divide by 9 (the top band is a shelf, so it is not useful for this application and that is why you would not divide by 10). That yields a spacing of 2600/9= 288 Hz. So, I would set up the left channel starting at say 400 Hz with spacings ever 288 Hz going upwards in freq. Then, I would set up the right channel beginning at 400 Hz plus half 288 Hz which would be 544 Hz as the start freq for this right channel and then put a tine spaced every 288 Hz referenced to 544 Hz.

When I created the original presets, it was largely based on trial and error and what seemed to work on a mono LP. So, there is a lot of room to be creative here, including modification of the tine bandwidth (Octaves).

Let us know if any of this is helpful.

Craig

Comment

Electric Update

Group,
                        I tried the "method" with some early electric jazz, "China Boy" by Red Nichols. Worked well with 10 ms offset and the stereo presets (not W).

I'll work on the acoustic with thelatest concepts next.

Regards,
                        Marc

P.S. I listened to a commercial "cleaned up " Red Nichols CD. Mine is much better.

Comment

That's a pretty interesting effect DJ (well, I mean pretty Cool!). Just trying it out on a few 78rpm records and it's quite pleasing:
                          Mono: http://dougsphdthesis.googlepages.com/mono.MP3
                          Stereo: http://dougsphdthesis.googlepages.com/stereo.mp3

I must be getting old, cause I'm sure that once I was able to make those appear as relative links, but I've given up after 15 minutes of failed attempts.
                          Last edited by Doug; 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM.
                          At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Hi Doug,

That sounds prettty good; it is subtle enough not to sound overly fake and yet it adds some dimension. I converted it to .wav and looked at it with the X-Y display and can clearly see the stereo (difference) signal content.

Craig
                            Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Doug,
                              like it a lot, very nice sound....has "spread" and presence without compromising the integrity of the recording.
                              "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

It's not something I've ever tried before but will keep it in mind now. I have noticed one place it doesn't seem to work and that is when playing back the songs on a notebook/laptop. It seems the distance between the speakers interacts with the offset between L&R. With that said, it sound equally good through headphones as it does through room speakers.
                                At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Working...
                                X