Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impulse Noise Removal Problem with "Slow" Cartridge

Group,

I am having a problem with removing noise (Clicks and Crackle) with a certain type of cartridge. Let me explain....

I have had good sucess with removing impulse noise from my 78's when I use a "modern" turntable and the Stanton 500 cartridge. As we have talked about in the past, this is a very light tonearm with a high compliance needle setup.

I have also tried using a "Rek-O-Kut" turntable with a long/old GE type of tonearm and 1940's cartridge. The output is mono. The reason for using this setup is that I was playing some radio 16 " transcription records and needed the long tonearm. Also, the Stantion cartridge (500) wouldn't mount well in the old tonearm.

When I tried to remove the impulse noise from the record with the old GE cartridge, I had very limited sucess. I "think" that the noise reduction software looks at the rate of change and works good with the modern Stantion High Compliance , but poorly with the old "low" compliant cartridge.

I tried various settings on the different filters, but so far the clicks/crackle seem to be very hard to remove.

Comments ?

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-13-2019, 03:30 PM.

Marc

Transcription discs are some of the worst I have heard as far as impulse noise, both in large clicks and intensity of smaller clicks and crackle. I guess that a slow cartridge or rather a bandwidth limited one would make matters worse.
    Not sure if this is in that category, but it may help to put some high frequency pre-emphasis back on the recording then try the impulse filters again.

This is an area that I am working on for DC8, especially the big clicks.
    Rick

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the information. I'll try adding more high frequency information by using the Preamp section.

I recorded the transcription disks with a RIAA preamp and have used the software to convert to Early Columbia LP. I'll try american 78 or maybe a custom one.

These recordings with the small impulses/crackle mixed in with the music are a real "tuff one".

Regards,
      Marc

Comment

Quoting Marc:

I recorded the transcription disks with a RIAA preamp and have used the software to convert to Early Columbia LP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Marc,

I have never heard of any 16 inch acetate transcription records having been encoded with the Columbia LP curve. The most likely EQ would have been (as you suggested) either the American or the European Turnover curve. Maybe using one of those would help.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

The transcriptions were around 1940's time frame. I picked the Columbia Early LP based only on how well they sounded.

The higher frequency additions seem to help some. More experiments underway.

Regards,
          Marc

Comment

Quoting Marc:

"The higher frequency additions seem to help some. More experiments underway."

------------------------------------------------------------------

As I recall, the Columbia curve may produce a higher level of high frequency attenuation compare to the RIAA or any of the 78 Turnover curves. (Please refer to the Diamond Cut Users Manual for detaild about the response of the various curves). So, it is possible that you may be moving in the wrong direction.

Craig
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X