Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange experience on restoring a 78

HI!

Here is a strange happening accoring to sound restoration that I really wonder if there are good answes for:

I was about to give up, but finally found out what to do and it all ended up with one of my very best results in cleaning up an old 78 rpm disc.

The disc was Adrian Rollini, "You're a sweetheart", a 1938 jazz recording. it starts up with a rather rough vibraphone solo before the orchestra joins in.

My recording technique is to record in stereo, then do declicking using EZ Impulse. After that I convert from stereo to mono before I do further processing, like median, narrow crackle (a great new feature!), contonous etc.

But all I tied the sound was really like crap; it sounded like a kind of bathroom echo and especially the vibraphone sounded like a ghost.

Finally I found what made the sound so strange; on the file conversation process from stereo to mono! Why?, I still wonder, since this is a kind of "routine task" I have did on all my restoration jobs for years and years; first record, then do declick in stereo, then convert to mono in a multifilter chain.

Then I did the whole restoration job in stereo mode all through. At last I put on some reverb, and EUREKA,the result was really fantastic, one of my very best jobs ever!! The vibraphone was merely burning!

So the question, why and how did the sound change that lot in the stereo to mono converting process??? Was it because of the type of music, or what???

regards
    Jan
    NORWAY
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-13-2019, 03:39 PM.

Don't know the technical reasons(time offset?). When that happens to me, I convert either the left or right channels only to mono. If its a time offset issue the channels can be re-aligned to match-in theory....just a thought.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Hi Jan,

I have experienced the bad effect that you are describing, but I am not positive that it is exactly the same. I have always traced it back to the time offset control having not been set to 0.00 in the file conversion filter when converting from stereo to mono.

Is it possible that it accidently became set to values other than 0.00?

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

HI!

Yes, this is true, the filter was not adjusted correctly!
        Sorry about the fuzz and thanks for the help!

Best regards
        Jan

PS, is there anything new to tell about the DC8 version?

Comment

Quoting Jan:

"PS, is there anything new to tell about the DC8 version?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi -

There are a bunch of new things under development in DC8, but we think that it is too early to disclose those items at this time. Stayed tuned!

"Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
          X