cleaning DVD audio track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning DVD audio track

I need to clean up the audio track of a family video recording on DVD.
    Sound is recorded by the camera mic, with lots of compression and noise.

How can the audio be enhanced? Image is OK.
    Should the audio be extracted to a separate file, and after processing recombined with the video? how?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM.
    Jos Van Dyck

Most video editing software lets you add a track. Depending on how long the files are, the easiest thing to do is to use Diamond Cut software to extract the audio from the DVD. The audio track will be exactly the same length as the dvd.
    Then clean up the audio.
    Then go back to the video editing software, delete the audio file that is associated with the video and replace it with the cleaned up track.

If it's a real long video or multiple locations, I would chop it into the different locations as a video, then follow the procedures above for each video file.

Sounds like the continuous noise filter (don't be too aggressive) to remove the noise, and then maybe some expansion to get the signal a little more roomy. Alternatively, after getting rid of the noise, eq can do a lot with minor tweaking.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

I just submitted a posting along the same line as this one. I won’t repeat it here, but you brought up something that I need to know a little more about.

You mentioned expansion to get the signal a little more roomy. You also mentioned “EQ.”

Can you point me to the place where I can learn more about those two features?

Thank you,

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred -
        EQ is just equalization. It's as simple as the Virtual phone amp, with three controls, or the paragraphic equalizer, with lots of controls.

The manual should have a lot to say about these features. The trick is to not use too much equalization. I usually go through about 3 iterations if it's something I really want to sound good (if it has my name on it). I get a version I think I like, then I try it on a home stereo, a car stereo and something like computer speakers. Then I know about what it's going to sound like.

For expansion, there's the punch & crunch, or the dynamics processor (both under effects menu), or the dynamic noise filter, which is under the filter menu.

Alternatively, you can make your own using the multifilter. I like using the VVAs in a multifilter to add in effects, (so, for example, a noise removal filter, an equalization filter, and a couple of VVAs) but again you have to be careful not to overdo it. I think all of these should have pretty good explanations in the manual, but your ears are the best guide. Just start with a default that sounds good, and go from there.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
        X