Null Destination; Wave & Peak File Inconsistent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Null Destination; Wave & Peak File Inconsistent

How can I prevent having a "Null Destination"; also, how can I tell if I have Destination "Wave & Peak File" inconsistencies?

Also, I found a partial file added to my Open File list; is this because the previous destination file was extended?

I thought DC Live 7.5 permitted longer wave files.

Comment

What is a Null Destination? I mean, I sort of know that it means that there is nothing in the destination work area, but I have never seen that occur. Can you provide some specifics on how that happened? DC7.5 will allow recording files longer than 2 GBytes, but it does so by automatically opening a new file when it reaches the 2 GByte limit. So, if you try to cancatinate, as an example, a 2 GByte file to another 2 GByte file, the system will be unable to create a 4 GByte file due to the basic definition of a .wav file being limited to 2 GBytes.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I meant to include a screen shot; but I wasn't sure how to attach a File. Would "Insert an Image", insert a file?

I was attempting to process an Easy Impulse filter, when I got the message on my screen; "You are attempting to perform selective filtering to a Null Destination, or a destination file that is not long enough".

I clicked "Yes", because I didn't think that a processed destination file would be any larger than the Source File. Is this logical?

Comment

Selective Filtering

hmmm - - -

First, it sounds like you are trying to do selective filtering. If I am correct on that, the system must be placed into Sync Files mode, which is a checkbox in the View Menu.

Then, after that is checked, you need to make a clone of the file (assuming that you are operating in classic edit mode which it seems that you are). The clone command is found under the File menu. The cloned file will appear in the Destination workspace.

After the file is cloned, you can go ahead and highlight sections of the file that need some sort of processing selectively (non-global processing). Just go and highlight the area that needs, say, impulse noise reduction and then apply the EZ Impulse filter to that. The highlighted area of the source file will be processed and the fixes will then be found in the cloned destination file.

You can do this with any of the filters, not just the EZ impulse filter. I do this sort of operation often with the bandpass filter or the CNF or the Filter Sweeper - - - whatever needed. It even can be used to selectively apply effects onto the cloned file.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Attach Screenshot Saved As A File.

I think I've got the null destination okay; if I do this, I should not wind up with an extra file that is .073 seconds long. Is this correct?

Is there a way to attach a screenshot saved as a file? I interpret attach "image" as a photo type attachment. What do you consider an "image"?

Comment

I am not sure what image formats that this bulletin board supports, but I do know that there are size limits set up here to prevent overloading of our server. I vaguely recall that the limit here is pretty small for attachments, but I do not remember the number. Just take an image using the print screen option and then paste it here and see if it takes.

Craig

ps - I just tried it and the image that I took did not stick.
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Hi again,

I just looked around here on the forum and found that the following file formats are supported by the bbs software as attachments:

bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Craig

Comment

Craig
                  Perhaps you might want to have him send the large file via that service we used to move around the DC7 User Guide edit files. As I remember it seemed to work pretty well and was free:

http://www.yousendit.com/

Brian

Comment

Craig,

That's good to know, because I somehow thought that existing files were too large to send. I use the "Snagit" program to capture Screenshots, editing, etc; and, I have the ability to convert these files. I'll try that the next time ("a picture is worth a thousand words").

I guess you can tell this is the first time I have used the DC Live Forensics, Version 7.5; actually I have so many hobbies, it seems like I don't stick with one too long. At this stage of my life, it is very easy to get distracted and wind up doing something else, because I forgot what I started out to do. Basically I'm an outdoor person, so this is a Winter time job for me.

A lot of people when they retire get bored, because they have nothing to do; I'm just the opposite, when I set down, I think of all of the things I should be doing. So I find I am busier now than I ever was!

Thanks again, for your help.

Comment

An option that I personally use, is to open a free photobucket account. Place your image files of interest on their servers; then in the message body itself use the Bulletin Board command for inserting these images via a direct link back to the photobucket servers.

I don't use photobucket too terribly often, but an account there comes in handy, especially on forums such as this.

PS. If you arent familiar with BB codes, I believe vBulletin (forum software used here) has a fairly good manual that will outline such procedures.

To put it simply, the code for inserting a photo into the message body would be:

leftbracketIMGrightbracket (complete path of where the photo is located) leftbracketslashIMGrightbracket

Of course you would actually use the brackets and slashes, not their spelled out versions.

Comment

Geebster,

"leftbracketIMGrightbracket (complete path of where the photo is located) leftbracketslashIMGrightbracket".

This sounds pretty easy.

I'll try it sometime; not today, I have to discipline myself to stick with DC 7.5 restorations. I have a lot of files to clean up that have been recorded to DC7 over a year ago!

Thanks for your suggestion

Comment

Working...
                        X