Incorrect Peak Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect Peak Information

I am attempting to process a wave file, with the EZ Impulse filter.

I get the message: "The wave file size is inconsistent with the wave header information; the file will still be opened, but the peak information may be incorrect"

This one has me confused.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-03-2019, 02:36 PM.

Hi,

I am not sure, but a message like that is consistent with a file that had been edited (shortened or lengthened) and the peak file not updated. Try bringing up the file and then goto the View menu and click on "Rebuild Peak File".
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I tried that, and I still get the same notice.

My wave file consists of two LP records (4 sides); I think I will go back to the original file and split it, so that I have two files, each file will be one LP record (2 sides). This should solve my immediate problem.

However, I think I am going to run into it again, when I try to process a "reel-to-reel" tape that is 6+ hours long, that has split to 7-parts.

Comment

Hi,

What sampling rate and bit depth (or resolution) are you using for the transfer? What speed was the analog tape recording made at? Maybe you can use a lower sampling rate for the transfer, especially if the analog recording was made at 3.75 ips. Tapes made at 3.75 ips have little response above around 10 kHz, so a 22.05 KHz sample rate at 16 bits should sound about the same as the analog tape itself.

Craig

Comment

I'll have to play with that.

I have two of the Teac X-1000R tape decks, and they have the "Dolby dbx1" Professional Noise reduction; I normally set the recording peaks somewhere between +2.5 to 3 db., and I do use 3.75 ips, so I'm not sure if this has any effect on the upper level response. The only thing I can say is that they sound as good as a CD does (too me, anyhow).

I do use the 30-band Eq, and I increase the upper levels to bring out mostly the string instruments and occasionally the horn instruments on some of the sectors.

I have taken the end of a wave file (partial track), and placed it in the Destination, and the beginning of the Part 2 file and added it to the destination to get the complete sector, but I forgot how I did it; I'll figure it out!

Thanks again

Comment

If you want to know for sure what the upper frequency response of the tape recordings are, just turn on the spectrogram (forensics menu) and it will paint a nice picture for you of the response (frequency is the vertical axis). Alternatively, you can use the spectrum analyzer in averaging mode (for around 1 minute) and it will provide you a plot of amplitude vs frequency.

Usually, R-R tapes recorded @ 3.75 ips fall off very rapidly after 10 kHz in my experience, but you can determine that for yourself with the above test.

Comment

Craig,

That is interesting; when I get a break, and decide to do this, I will get back to you with the results.

Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
              X