Select Part of Source, and Create New File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select Part of Source, and Create New File

I have recorded two LP records, and the file exceeded the limit, creating two files named Part 1 and Part 2.

I have opened file Part 1, and selected one record, sides 1 & 2.

How do I "Cut & Paste" the selected portion (one LP, sides 1 & 2) to the Destination, and rename it as a new file? (ie: "Record 1, Sides 1 & 2, Original"?

After I figure out how to do this, I want to Cut & Paste the remaining portion of File, Part 1 to the Destination File, and Cut & Paste File Part 2 and add it to the end of the open Destination File; this will make my Destination File a separate file to be renamed "Record 2, Sides 1 & 2, Original".

I am not going to try to squeeze two LP records into one file again; however, I am going to run into the same problem, when I try to create several files of a 6 hour tape that automatically split into 7 Parts, with each Part ending in the middle of a sector (track). So, I might as well learn how to do it now!

Craig, I hope this doesn't take too much of your time to decipher....

As you know, a .wav file can not be longer than 2 GBytes. But, I think that an LP should not be that long after digitization, unless you are using a very high sample rate coupled with 24 bit resolution.

I would transfer each LP at 88.2 or 96 KHz with a 16 bit depth. After declicking, then I would down-convert the sample rate of these files to 44.1 kHz, which should make the files roughly half their previous size. Once that is done, the system should be ammenable to commands like "paste - append to end" etc. That would allow you to put the files together without suffering any humanly discernable file quality (it would be CD quality at that point).

I hope that gets to the root of the problem.

Craig

ps - to copy and paste, highlight one of the files and copy it to the clipboard. The, open the other file and paste it to either the beginning or the end of that file thus creating a new cancatenated file.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I don't think I can do that on my 7Part files, because they already exceed the limit.

I've done this in the past by moving the partial sectors to a Destination file to make a complete sector; then I did a "Save As" for the new Destination file. I've got to play with this again to see if I can remember how I did it.

Comment

Another simple way would be to clone the file and then use chop into pieces. If I understand it right, you have 2 lps in 1 file, but that file is spit into two parts, making it two files (part 1 and 2). My guess is that you have all of lp1 and part of lp2 in the first file, and the rest of lp2 in the second file.

If that's about right, you can clone the first file and call it whatever you want, then go in and put a marker where the second lp starts.

Then chop file.

Then go to batch files and concatenate with the end of the part 1 file and the entire part 2 file, which should give you the second lp with no breaks or interruptions.

That's if I'm understanding what you have. Just to be safe, I'd clone the part 2 file before I did the concatenation, and use the cloned file instead of the original.

I'm suggesting the chop and concatenate because these are big files to begin with, and cut and paste on large files tends to take longer than a simple chop or concatenate.

Dan
        Last edited by Dan McDonald; 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

You understand my delimma; I will try it tomorrow (I've had three beers, and I'm afraid to do anything 'til my head is clear!).

One question: Can we Cut & Paste with DC Live/Forensics, V7.5? I tried to Cut on earlier versions, and it did just that; the file was gone!

If I get in trouble, I'll get back.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, you can cut and paste. Just highlight, then edit cut, then edit paste (this gives you some options) then paste as new file.

Alternatively, you can edit copy, then edit paste - paste as new file.

Good luck with it.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

I think I've got this one figured out.

Thanks Guys for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X