EZ enahncer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ enahncer

I'm wondering if someone here can help me with the EZ enhancer on 78s.
    I find that sometimes the compression-expansion is too strong and I end up with noticable short envelopes in the resulting sound. I'm also having a bit of trouble tweeking the sound to get the fidelity I want...and I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

I've been using a level of ~-10 to -20 (even tried to +20), excitation of ~1-10 and have it on the 78rpm final cleanup setting. I then boost the output by ~8db, run it through the VVA on harmonics exciter and fat bass (see attachment). Most times it works well with a little tweeking, but sometimes it doesnt. Below is an example with traditional vs ez-enhancer methods on the same declicked-denoised recording:

Traditional method (P'n'C only): http://www.4shared.com/file/14455063...aditional.html
    EZ enhancer (with VVA harm): http://www.4shared.com/file/14455064..._enhancer.html

I like the noise reducing properties of the enhancer and want to persist with trying to use it on troublesom recordings so any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way of softening the volume/pumping effects and pushing out the highs/extending the fidelity further? On other recordings it works great with minimal effort.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-27-2019, 04:09 AM.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Doug,

Well, the first one sounds better than the second one, obviously. The EZ enhancer was desgined to just be easy to use. That means that the time constants and compression/expansion ratios, corner frequencies, etc are all fixed in software.

Those folks looking for an easy enhancement, find it to be useful. Those folks (like yourself who are quite comfortable with fairly complex engineering systems) will use the discrete filters and effects and will almost always get the optimal results that way. I think that is what you are seeing (actually, hearing) here.

Make sense?

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Yeah makes sense. Certainly in most cases I use the EZ enhancer because it's quick, works well and reduces some of the extraneous noise left over by the other processing I have done.

Out of interest, is there a multifilter preset that reflects the order and application of the various filters used in the EZ enhancer?
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Hi Doug,

The answer is that there are several and variant sub-systems involved in the EZ Enhancer system. But, you seem to have the multifilter mastered pretty well from what I can tell. Your restorations sound real good to me, but I am and old guy who's hearing may be faltering. But, I do not think so. You manage to de-noise the 78s without throwing out the top end, which shows that you understand the nuances of the software program. It is not so easy to do without formal training in the use of the program.

Craig
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-18-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Hi again, Doug,

Just in further reflection, I wish that we could make a program wherein the user pushes a button called "Fix It" and whatever sound went in would come out as if recorded in a state of the art digital recording studio.

Of course, that is not possible (presently). There are a lot of folks who use the Diamond Cut Suite professionally (who are very experienced and competent at the outset) and take a three day training course to help them get on board with the use of the tools.

These folks, coupled with their past experience and knowledge of audio and/or engineering come away better prepared to use the software "optimally". But, you see, it is a combination of science and art going on here. Even once a person has mastered the software, who is to say that their restoration is "perfect"?

In the legal world, these things are a little easier to quanitify, but in the musical world, it is more etherial.

So, we always strive to provide a system that allows the most experienced and diligent engineer with the tools to ply their trade. On the other hand, we also want to provide folks who are on the learning curve with tools that will provide satisfaction, abeit not optimal.

Craig

ps - I would say you are doing a pretty good job of learnig these tools. It is not a piece of cake to get those kinds of results. DC8 will make it a bit easier to do, but it still will not be a silver bullet.

pss - Engineering Definition according to Miriam-Webster: The Art of Managing Engines

psss - I have heard that the only "True Science" is mathematics. But of that, I am not even sure. I took a graduate course a long time ago called "Set Theory and Transfinite Numbers". That made me realize that the pursist discussions of number theory ultimately wrap around to philosophy (and religion).

Go figure - - - somtimes it seems like a big circle to me. I digressed because we had a few glasses of wine tonight.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-29-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
            Go figure - - - somtimes it seems like a big circle to me. I digressed because we had a few glasses of wine tonight.
            Wish I could join you in that!

Comment

I have to admit that I don't spend time setting up the CNF and the like. I think in most cases the software makes it easy to get excellent results with a minimum of effort... and I'm still learning.

From what I have learned by trial and error, the declicking stage appears to be most important. Lately I have been experimenting with the CNF artefact mode for reducing some forms of heavy crackle/left over plops before running it in the standard mode - that seems to work well on trashed records. I think all the various filters and features produce some outstanding results...my favourite order with my current method is CNF, VVA P'n'C and then the dynamic noise filter. This seems to achieve excellent results with minimal setup in a few min:

Blacksmiith Blues DEMO.mp3

Art Mooney...my new favourite song for the week!
              Anyway, I've posted up in the sharing area the 2 multi-filters I use. No.1 comes after you declick the file, No.2 comes after you deNoise the file (I usually use a 4096FFT, 110 attack, 200-220 release, 15-20 attenuation).
              Last edited by Doug; 10-30-2009, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I, for one, am glad there is no "Fix it" button on the software. That is one of Diamond Cut's strengths, not weaknesses. That way, we the users, can determine which sonic defects to remove; and those that we wish to remain.

No matter how well meaning, I don't want a software program to tell me which sounds are "noise" and which are "music". I'll make that determination for myself, thank you very much.

I've used some of those packages that have very little user input required, which are used primarily by the Major Movie Studios; and frankly I didn't think that they were all that great, even though they cost more than the forensics laboratory.

I like Diamond Cut products the way they interact with the human involved, and I hope that never changes as the filtering processes improve.

Thanks to all involved with DC products in making a program where the user makes the decisions, not the software.

Comment

Working...
                X