Copy/Paste produced track with two levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy/Paste produced track with two levels

I have a delimma! On a long file, I created a new track, and cut/copied the end partial of a track; then, I opened a new source, and Copy/paste Insert at the beginning of the new track.

Now, the new track (two co-joined into one track) has two volume levels. How/what can I do to get the track Normalied so the track is all the same level? I have tried "Gain Normalize" and "Normalize Gain Scaling"' and, neither will do the job. "Normalize Gain Scaling" to 0.dB clips all of the higher volume signals.

Any suggestions, other than re-recording the vinyl track?

I'm guessing the 2 are still separated by some silence or you know where the 2 meet. Anyway, you need to highlight one of the 2 different sections (and may need to use the zoom function to select it properly where the 2 sections meet). If you didn't include a silence space, press "Q" so that it automatically finds the zero crossing point of the selected area at both ends. Then:

If your selected area is louder than the non-selected portion, use the normalized gain scaling option under "CD-Prep" dropdown menu. Enter a -ve dB value that rougly matches the maximum peak value of the non selected area. Likewise if it is quieter - the normalizing should sort it out.

Is that what you tried, or did you select the entire wave file with both tracks and try to normalize the whole lot as one? Hope that helps.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Doug,

Sorry, I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread, and I didn't get your response.

I performed a "Cut & Paste" to a new Destination file; and, it resulted in only one track (song) that had the two different volume levels.

Your response is logical; however, I managed to get the file correct but I don't know how I did it.

This isn't the only time I have performed a "miracle".

Comment

Doug,

Actually, I think I transferred a portion of the track at 96 kHz, 24-bit (before I converted to 44.1 kHz, 16-bit); and, the Paste Insert for the end of the track, probably was transferred at 44.1kHz, 16-bit.

I'm pretty sure that's why I couldn't normalize the track (It took a little while to figure that one out)!

Comment

Working...
        X