Broadcast Transcription Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcast Transcription Recordings

I've never dealt with these before so I am completely blind as to the best process. The problem I have is that I will only get one chance to do this right. I have 2.5 and 2.8 mil stylii (I believe 2.3 is optimal but I don't have one) and a flat preamp. What I would like to know is how to best treat these 16" acetate transcriptions to record them:
    • How to best clean these records
    • Can they be played wet(?) to reduce distortion
    • What tracking weight is best?
    • What EQ do I use (RIAA sounds wrong, NAB Tape EQ??)
    • What else I can do to get the best possible sound
    I really would like to do this correctly over the next few weeks...I never listen to them, and don't have a proper turntable for them (so I have made a temporary tone-arm for this). Any help and tips would really be appreciated from the experts here. Bellow is a photo of a label. They are all from the early 50s (most have the envelopes stamped with a date between 1948-54):

Last edited by Doug; 11-22-2009, 05:37 AM.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

16 inch acetate transcription record transfer

Doug,

I am not an expert, but I have some of these in my collection and I have transferred them over to digital and cleaned them up. Here is what I know about them:

1. I used a 2.5 mil stylus and that worked fine.

2. I believe that a 500 Hz turnover (American 78s) is the right EQ curve; that is the one that I used in the VPA.

3. DO NOT clean them with anything having alcohol or acetone. Those chemicals will damage the recording. I used nothing more than Distilled Water on them and cleaned them several times using the water and a soft cloth before transfer.

4. I tracked them fairly heavy which reduced the distortion. I used around 4 grams.

5. The big click filter should help get out the big impulses (if it has those - - - my transcriptions did have those). After the big clicks are removed, I just used the standard process (Manual interpolation, EZ Impulse, CNF, etc).

I hope that this helps.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-22-2009, 11:58 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Ok, the 500Hz seems to work better than RIAA/NAB tape EQ curves.
      Still, given the condition of these records they seem very scratchy/noisy and have a fair amount of rumble - I was honestly expecting a better sound to begin with:

Are You Havin' Any Fun (original recording)
      On The Alamo (before vs after)

Not quite the same version as "On the Alamo" by Rudy Vallee!
      Last edited by Doug; 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM.
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Those samples sounded great, Doug! The music was very clean.

(Ha! I accidentally opened the same file twice! They both do sound great, though!)
        Last edited by cromag; 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Doug,

You should be able to get rid of the rumble using the CNF with a high fft size (8192 or higher).

Craig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
          X