X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion Box

Hi,

If you have any suggestions for future product improvements (Version 8 and beyond), please post them here under this thread.

Thanks!

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Remaning "Save As"

I use the 'Dewey Decimal" system when I save my files during the restoration process. It would be nice, if I could click at the beginning of the name block, so I could add my numbering sequence.

During my restorations, I use this feature to go back to any point of my processing, to delete some of the processed files (that I may have screwed up), and proceed from any point of my processing with different filters. I also add to the end of the naming of my in-process files the function I have performed; for example, "EZc 20-0-50", "EZi 60-75-50" ".wav". When I am satisfied with my results, I batch process the remaining files (from the same record), using the same settings that were used on the finished track. Then I go back and delete the interim processes, and save the original and final files, and build my song list from my final renditions, then I archive my original source file for future use.

Comment

Hi -

The new system (DC8 and Live/Forensics Audio Laboratory, v.8.0) both support Broadcast Wave which can contain metadata in the file header. I wonder if this new feature will be useful in your methodology.

Craig

Comment

It hasn't been too long ago, that I purchased the DC Live/Forensics, v 7.5.

Is the version 8.0 a newer version of my software; if so, is there an upgrade available?

Comment

Hi,

Initially, we will be releasing DC8, which is the consumer upgrade version of DC7 with lots of new features (listed somewhere on this forum). Shortly thereafter, we will be releasing Live/Forensics Audio Laboratory v.8.0 which will include all of those features, plus all of the original Live/Forensics Audio Laboratory features plus some new Forensics features too.

There will definitely be an upgrade path from Live/Forensic Audio Laboratory version 7.5 to version 8.0. I think that the upgrade price will be very smalll comparatively speaking.

Stay tuned.

Craig

Comment

All I want to do, is be able to "click" at the beginning of the new "file name", when I make "Source the Destination", to be able to keep the numbers in the consecutive order in which the files were processed. I usually delete the new file designations that are assigned at the end of the "file name" by the "program, because somewhere "along the line", I forget the process I performed at "(1), (2)", etc.

Comment

DC7 Workflow Improvement Request

My buddy and I have been using DC7.5 for a couple of weeks to restore some old Jazz 78s that were cut in the 30's and 40's. We love DC7 , but there are some things that we do over and over that I wish were automated:
              • Need a keyboard shortcut for "Make Destination the Source". Please.
              • We use the multifilter, but only as a means of remembering what to do next. We visit each filter in the workflow and adjust the setting for each recording. After we are satified, we save an interim output file so that we know how a file was constructed and we have checkpoints that facilitate rework. The saving is triggered by "Make Destination the Source" and we always have to change the suggested file name by appending acronym that indicates which filter was just applied. We append "EQ" for equalization, "IM" for EZ Impulse, "H" for EZ Hiss, ect.. As we progress throught our multi-filter for a given recording, we accumulate files in the same folder. After we're done, the file with the longest name is finished product. It would be great if DC would automatically append the appropriate filter acronym to the suggested file name after "Make Destination the Source".
              • Need to be able to add effects like "change speed" to the multi-filter. We're recording 78s @ 45 RPM and would like to automate the mechanical step.
              • One of the most tedious parts of the job is managing the recording meta data. WAV files have no internal standard for saving artist, record label, album, year, ect. MP3 can be tagged, but we always generate MP3's from WAV's as the final step. I hope that some day the Tunes Library will maintain the meta data per folder such that it is captured once and automatically associated with all the subordinate WAV files created after each filter is applied. When any of the subordinate WAVs are ripped to MP3, the meta data could be used to automatically tag the MP3 output file.
              • The Paragraphic Equalizer should have a wizard that asks you the publisher and the year to determine the curve. We now have to keep the user manual open to page 426 to look up the appropiate curve. The table sometimes has the same publisher listed twice for different year ranges but not juxtaposed.
              • In the CNF, move the [Sample Noise] button away from the others so that you don't click it by mistake and loose all your adjustments.
              • In the CNF, it would be nice to be visually reminded of the normal range of human hearing.
              • Need a filter wizard that would ask you what are the main problems you hear in the recording and construct a multifilter to deal with them. For example, we have some 78s that have noise at record rotation intervals. It's not continuous, but regularly intermittent. Would appreciate advice.
              • In the CNF, we need an easier way to adjust the cutoff curve. The little squares are difficult to grab an control with the mouse. If the display was bigger, it would be much easier. It would be nice to be able to select a range of the curve and displace it up or down.
              • Need a Help button on each pop-up filter that explains what the filter is good for and suggest other filters that might also be used and why. Some of the filters have overlapping functions and we don't know which one is best.
              • Need a [Keep Residue] checkbox in the EZ Impulse filter so that we can check our work as we do in the other filters.
              • Tunes Library does not update its file properties. I did the initial search and load. I then renamed some of the referenced folders. But, the Tunes Library usually forgets the track name changes.
              • Needs to be an easier way of adding a new WAV file to the Tunes library. While looking at the tune in the editor there should be a command that would allow you to add it to the library and to a specific playlist in a single command.

Thanks for reading this.
              Last edited by Carl Kelley; 04-06-2011, 11:55 AM. Reason: remove ignorant suggestion and add a much more useful one

Comment

Hi Karl,

Here is an attempt to answer your questions.

Need a keyboard shortcut for "Make Destination the Source". Please.

Answer: Try using the Fast Edit Mode found under the preferences menu; that gets around all of that.

We use the multifilter, but only as a means of remembering what to do next. We visit each filter in the workflow and adjust the setting for each recording. After we are satified, we save an interim output file so that we know how a file was constructed and we have checkpoints that facilitate rework. The saving is triggered by "Make Destination the Source" and we always have to change the suggested file name by appending acronym that indicates which filter was just applied. We append "EQ" for equalization, "IM" for EZ Impulse, "H" for EZ Hiss, ect.. As we progress throught our multi-filter for a given recording, we accumulate files in the same folder. After we're done, the file with the longest name is finished product. It would be great if DC would automatically append the appropriate filter acronym to the suggested file name after "Make Destination the Source".

Answer: Again, consider using the Fast Edit mode which maintains an editing history file.

Need to be able to add effects like "change speed" to the multi-filter. We're recording 78s @ 45 RPM and would like to automate the mechanical step.

Answer: We do not have the Speed Change Filter in the Multifilter because the multifilter can be run in real time. Thus, to make the Change Speed algorithm work completely, we would literally have to build a time machine - - - have not figured that one out yet.

One of the most tedious parts of the job is managing the recording meta data. WAV files have no internal standard for saving artist, publisher, album, year, ect. But, MP3's do. We always generate MP3's from WAV's as the final step. So, something in the library should maintain the meta data such that it is captured once and automatically associated with all intermediate WAV files created after each filter is applied and automatically injected into all MP3s generated from the WAVs.

Answer: DC8 supports the Broadcast Wave Format which facilitates metadata in the .wav file header.

The Paragraphic Equalizer should have a wizard that asks you the publisher and the year to determine the curve. We now have to keep the user manual open to page 426 to look up the appropiate curve. The table sometimes has the same publisher listed twice for different year ranges but not juxtaposed.

Answer: DC8 has all the curves programmed in by label name as presets found in the Virtual Phono Preamplifier.

In the CNF, move the [Sample Noise] button away from the others so that you don't click it be mistake and loose all your adjustments.

Answer: Ok - - - will look into it - - - have not heard that one before.

In the CNF, it would be nice to be visually reminded of the normal range of human hearing.

Answer: That is complex since the variables include the human(s), the sound system and the absolute loudness of the signal.

Need a filter wizard that would ask you what are the main problems you hear in the recording and construct a multifilter to deal with them. For example, we have some 78s that have noise at record rotation intervals. It's not continuous, but regularly intermittent. Would appreciate advice.

Answer: I guess that you are looking for an extension of the EZ Forensics system, but for high fidelity recording and restoration. Also, DC8 has a "Big Click" filter that often handles regular intervals of large impulsive noise signals.

In the CNF, we need an easier way to adjust the cutoff curve. The little squares are difficult to grab an control with the mouse. If the display was bigger, it would be much easier. It would be nice to be able to select a range of the curve and displace it up or down.

Answer: Ok - - - will look into it - - - but probably not this go around since we are ready to release it shortly.

Need a Help button on each pop-up filter that explains what the filter is good for and suggest other filters that might also be used and why. Some of the filters have overlapping functions and we don't know which one is best.

Answer: Try using F1; also, the helpfile has filter and a function finder sections.

Need a [Keep Residue] checkbox in the EZ Impulse filter so that we can check our work as we do in the other filters.

Answer: Will look into it

We sometimes record the needle drop and can't find a way of removing the first few seconds of the recording in DC7. Would rather not have to switch to a sound editor to clip the file.

Answer: DC7 and v.7.5 is a sound editor, so the switch is really not much of a switch. It is right there on the "Edit" menu. Just highlight and cut.

I hope that helps a bit.

Craig

Comment

Hey Craig - long time!

I was without Internet for a while but had to come back & see what was going to be available in the new DC8. Looks great - can't wait!

I do like the addition of the Multi-Filter in the DC Tune Library! I can already see where it could be used to post-equalize your music library in a laptop & feed the equalized sound into a good car audio system. And the Synthesizers, and the improved Interpolate feature, and the list goes on! Wonderful!

Question - will version 8 still be compatible with Windows XP?

& I have one minor suggestion for a future improvement. It would be nice if the multi-filter would allow separate left & right processing, and better yet, simultaneously. Possibly utilizing a separate processor core for each channel to improve speed? (not sure if that would work or not...) Just a thought...

Oh, and thanks Craig & Rick for a great & continually improving product!

Comment

Independent Processing of Each Channel

Hi DJ - - -

Been a while since we have seen you - - - hope that you have a good New Year!

As for your questions - - - Version DC8 is compatible with XP and Vista too.

As for the multifilter running separately, it can do that now by clicking on the L or R button on the top toolbar. However, you must do it serially - - - first process one channel, and then click on the opposite channel and then process it. Please note that you must use the WDM drivers and not the MME drivers for this to work.

Doing both channels differently and simulataneously would take some serious work - - - maybe for DC9.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Would it be possible to change the initial title to read: "Suggestion Box for new DC 8 Live/ Forensics Applications"?

I think I might have created a little confusion in my initial request.

Thanks,

Comment

Hi Ringmaster,

I added that clarification.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

A few DC8 questions:

1. Is there any plan for a more modern UI? Although function and form is what is really important, the current UI kind of reminds me of Windows 3.1. DC7 is easily the "best of the best in its class", so why not take a moment to make it look the best? Just replacing some icons and controls would be a good first step --- I'll even make some for you!

2. Any hope to be able to import a CD text list? Would love to save some typing by just importing a playlist from a spreadsheet or notepad text file!

3. I would not ask this if you folks weren't so smart: any way to get rid of the 1 second "blip" between tracks when creating a CD? I notice even the commercial CD's have them. What a horrible experience when listening to albums that have songs run in to each other to tell a musical story such as Dark Side Of The Moon or The Beatles Revolution.

Rob->

Comment

Hi Rob,

1. DC8 provides you with a choice of "themes", but the icons look the same as in the past. It does have 6 new icons though including one for a Big Click only Filter, Sub-harmonic Synthesizer, Overtone Synthesizer, Direct Spectral Editor, Data Disc Burner (DVD or CD), and a Shuffle Play mode for the DC Tune library.

2. I am not sure what this import text function would look like or how it would work, so in short, DC8 does not have it but we could look at it for the future if you could explain what it should do.

3. The CD burner in DC8 has an optional Disc At Once mode in which there are no gaps between tracks. Also, we added a variable time gap for those who want to use Track At Once mode.

Craig
                            Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Rob - sometimes if you rip material from CDs, you'll find trailing or leading blanks. There are freeware programs that will take those off so that you can better use the dao method. And, of course, to prevent that from happening with CDs you create yourself, always click the 'cut on sector boundaries' before chopping files into pieces.

Dan
                              Last edited by Dan McDonald; 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM.
                              Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
                              X