Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy xxxxxxx (I'm still using 8) is the only package I've found that lets me choose the lead-in time for each track when burning a CD. It can even do zero time (nice for those run-together tracks) without requiring DAO. Seems to have a cleaner sound than xxxxx, too, at least to my ears and on my hardware.

DC7 CDs sound as good as xxxxxx (actually, a bit better on some material), but of course don't have the burning process flexibility (2sec gaps, thankyou and goodnight). Unfortunately, I'll have to buy an expensive upgrade for xxxxxx when I move to Win7 (have M$ disk, haven't installed yet) - hopefully DC8 (if needed for Win7 compatibility) won't break the bank as badly. Thanks!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I think xxxxx burns DAO to alleviate the 2-second gap issue, they just call it something else. I don't think the cds should sound any different, because they are all putting in the same data, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Dan
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by mikeebb View Post
        Easy CD Creator (I'm still using 8) is the only package I've found that lets me choose the lead-in time for each track when burning a CD. It can even do zero time (nice for those run-together tracks) without requiring DAO. Seems to have a cleaner sound than xxxxx, too, at least to my ears and on my hardware.

DC7 CDs sound as good as xxxxx (actually, a bit better on some material), but of course don't have the burning process flexibility (2sec gaps, thankyou and goodnight). Unfortunately, I'll have to buy an expensive upgrade for xxxxxx when I move to Win7 (have M$ disk, haven't installed yet) - hopefully DC8 (if needed for Win7 compatibility) won't break the bank as badly. Thanks!
        Nothing new here. A variety of programs have had this capability since the early days of CD creation. R*** doesn't do anything different. Brand X and Brand Y will definitely not sound any different, providing the burn is successful.
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Mikeebb,

Diamond Cut DC8 has DAO and variable gap for TAO. It will be on the market shortly.

Craiig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Code ?

Group,

DAO ?
            TAO ?

XXXXX ?

Regards,
            Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

TAO = Track at Once (with user adjustable gaps between tracks)

DAO = Disc At Once (gapless from one track to the next)

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Thanks....

Regards,
                Marc

Comment

CDDB Punctuation

I do mostly LP but some CD rip just to have them on the computer and it would sure be nice if DC would edit out punctuation derived from CDDB that is incompatable with PC file names before creating file names. The "." in "No." etc. are a PITA to have to manually remove.

Comment

Hi Jimcco -

The software does remove those characters. It sounds like you must have a very early version of the software. What are you running?

Craig

Comment

Craig,
                      Using 7.15

Just did this 3 days ago. DC wrote the files with "." in the names then XP Explorer got real confused when I tried to copy those files to another drive.

Looking foreward to V 8

Comment

Hi Again,

I was just chatting with Rick and he tells me that a "." is not an illegal character within the context of file naming conventions.

Can you please send me an copy of a file name that is causing specific problems in this regard? Please do it asap, since we hope to release the DC8 software momentarily.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Puncuation

Craig,

Not sure if the following is one of the problems as I fixed them all using rename in explorer; but think it might be. This is the way DC generated the name from CDDB.

01-Piano Sonata No.2 in B-Flat Minor, OP.35(Funeral March)I-G.wav

The strange thing was that I ripped 17 CD's all had files with "." in them but only files from 3 of the CD's caused problems.

BTW, each CD was placed in a new folder. It may have been generated folder names with punctuation in them that caused the problem. I seem to remember having to rename some of them with Explorer. Just looked at the folder names from that operation and sure enough ones that caused problems were like the following:

Chopan Piano Concerto No.2, Op.2

Comment

Hi Again,

I am forwarding this piece of this thread over to Rick to look at; I own around 100 classical CDs that I have ripped with lots of Symphony No. X within the name and have not seen the problem. Let's see what Rick says about it.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Improve reverb effects

HI!

My input is to improve the sound on the reverb-effects and maybe add a few more pre-sets according to improved ambianse on 78's. Maybe a good pre-set may be some combination effects of the VVA or EZ enhance with some reverb added on to produce the awarded "Robert Parker"-effect?? I know he had some sort of effects that he added on right after he had finished the declick/dehiss process that made the old 78's sound very likeable to listen to.
                              Best regards
                              jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

Yes, Parker used a simulated Stereo effect on his 78 restorations. That can be done with your Diamond Cut software in any of a number of ways or combinations thereof. Some of the items used by various folks are as follows:

1. File Conversion Filter with a slight time offset

2. Slight Reverb effect (the reverb in Diamond Cut produces a stereo signal from a two channel mono input.

3. Comb Filters found in the paragraphic EQ. Left and Right Channels are found as presets.

4. Punch & Crunch used in Compression Mode

5. VVA

6. And others - - - not comming to my mind right now.

Maybe some others will chime in here on this topic as many have come up with useful methods for creating a decent sounding stereo effect for 78s using the software.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X