Processing Audio Portion of Mini DV Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing Audio Portion of Mini DV Tape

My daughter is the music teacher for a local middle school. Last night, I made a video of their Christmas/Winter Concert. I have pulled the audio out and am working to make a CD. Each of the singers will be given a copy.

There are a few problems. First, there is the obvious sound of the air handling equipment running throughout the program. I guess the constant noise filter will take care of that.

There are a few audience coughs at inappropriate places. The Pencil Editing Tool will probably wipe off the top of the sound spike that each of the coughs made.

The next problem may require something a little more exotic.

Since it is not “cool” for a boy to be in the choir, the girls outnumber them by at least 3 to 1. The song that is causing me the biggest problem is “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.” In that song, the girls stop singing and the boys, as a group, sing a portion of the song.

I would like to know if there is some way I can make 10 boys sound like, say, 15 without it sounding unreal. I also would like to know if increasing the bass in the Virtual Phono Preamp is the only way I can make the boys sound more masculine.

The students will be going on their Christmas/Winter Break next week. So, I don’t have much time to get this right. However, I wonder if a touch of Reverb, Echo and/or Exciter would enhance the end product.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions you might care to make.

Fred

Some of the other people on here are better at this, but I can try.
    It sounds like the main problem is where the boys are singing without the girls. That should make it fairly easy to selectively equalize that section.

The 20 band and 10 band equalizers have some presets that would be good for this, I think. Also, the punch & Crunch has a male vocal enhancer setting, but be careful with that one because it can be too aggressive.

I would use classic mode and have the same file in the destination and source windows, highlight the area that needs special work, and experiment with preview until you get a sound you like, then run it. The classic mode will just affect the destination file.

You may find that you can run this for the entire file to enhance the bass for all the singing.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
    X