78s sound less scratchy when played with an RIAA Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78s sound less scratchy when played with an RIAA Preamp

We just received a customer complaint pertaining to the VPA (Virtual Phono Preamplifier) and the use of the conversion from RIAA to the 78 turnover frequencies.

He said that the records sounded less hissy and scratchy when played via RIAA.

I agreed because it is true, but one should not draw conclusions from this small part of the full restoration story.

The first part of a restoration process is the transfer. 78s were not recorded with a Rolloff portion of the curve (as with RIAA or Columbia LP). They were only recorded with Low Frequency Turnover. Thus, 78s sound quieter and less scratchy when played with RIAA which has high frequency Rolloff.

But -

78s also do not have the proper tonal balance that they were intended to have when transferred using the RIAA curve. Specifically, they will be missing a lot of the top end.

So -

Ignore what the transfer sounds like in terms of scratch, crackle and hiss. Reason? Because that is just the first step of a multi-step process.

The next process is to de-click the recording using the EZ Impulse Filter (or Expert Impulse Filter or a cascade of Impulse Filters in the Multifilter if you are so inclined).

Then, the next process after that is to remove the hiss using the Continuous Noise Filter.

The final result will be a tonally balanced restoration having no clicks, crackle or hiss and lots of clean top-end.

Conclusion:

You will not get that high quality (optimal) restoration result if you perform your initial 78 transfer with an RIAA curve.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-19-2009, 11:34 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Strange

Craig said :

"We just received a customer complaint pertaining to the VPA (Virtual Phono Preamplifier) and the use of the conversion from RIAA to the 78 turnover frequencies."

Strange that this would be a customer complaint as the Physics is real clear on just why the sound changes under the different conditions.

Regards,
    Marc

Comment

Marc,

Most folks who use the software are not physicists or mathematicians, so complaints like this one are not unusual or unexpected. We just need to provide the proper explanations when these sorts of questions arise.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

O.K. then. Makes sense.

Regards,
        Marc

Comment

78s sound less scratchy when played with an RIAA Preamp

Craig's 12/18/09 email may have been in reply to my call, as the date is about right. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a complain. It was more of a question to see if I was as I was doing things correctly. Anyway, I am much impressed with your DC7 and your support. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm having fun with my new hobby restoring my grand and great-grand dad's stack of old 78's going back to 1905. These records haven't been played since the 1940's.

Thanks,
          Fryczech

Comment

Hi Fryczech,

I am not sure who called with the complaint, but I like to post such inputs here so that others can benefit from the thought process involved. Some "complaints" are very useful because it provides the opportunity to share some information with a wider audience.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new hobby; it is addictive, right?

Craig

Comment

In hindsight, I may have chosen the wrong word. Instead of calling it a customer complaint, I should have called it a customer concern.

Sorry,

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X