Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancing after denoising of 78's

HI!

I am about to experment a bit according to enhancing of the sound after a track is ready de-clicked and de-hissed using EZ impulse (60/60/60) and CNF. I do NOT overdo using the CNF, using the settings att: 125, rel. 250, att: 10-20, FFT size 2048. What I end up with is a fair good track, but that lacks something according to fresh and upright sound.
    I have therefore made myself a "enhance" multifilter that makes up the "final touch" of the file.
    This multifilterchan consist of: a) parametric eq, where I lift the third dot from left up to about 12.00 (like the user manual), b) lowpass filter: 10.000/24db/Butter., c) EZ enhance: pre-set "warm odd balanced expansion", where the exciter is at 95 position.
    This makes up a somewhat "cleaner" sound than using the "virtual walve amp." that I used before.
    MY 2 questions is as follows:
    1. Is the 3 various filters a,b and c. placed in a logical running order, or should this running order be changed according to logical theories and even better sound?
    2. What do you think about my "new" enhancer multifilter? All comments are very welcome during my "experience" sessions with trial and error!
    (3) BY THE WAY; I have produced a large number of CD's from 78's for commerical purpose and handed over to a local record company. I once tol Craig that I owe him a copy of one of my recent issues containing material from the 30's and 40's. Please give me your adress and I'll gladly send you a copy! You can also use fragments of it in this forum if you want to, if it can be of any help both for myselv and others! DC7 is a great tool, but there are still many tips and tricks to be obtained! Best regards Jan, Norwegian user for about 10 years now....

Hi Jan,

The order of effects and / or filters matters when non-linear systems are used. One of the items that you are using is non-linear and thus, its location in the chain will make a difference (note that I do not say better or worse). That item is the EZ Enhancer, so experimentation if the best method to identify the optimal position in the chain.

And, thanks for offering to send us a copy of one of your CDs. That would be great!

Our address is:

Diamond Cut Productions, Inc.
    P.O. Box 305
    Hibernia
    NJ, 07842
    USA

Thanks!

Craig

ps - I think that you will like DC8 which has a sub-harmonic synthesizer and an overtone synthesizer which are both useful for audio enhancement purposes.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re:

Thanks for your answer1
      BUT; read som other place on this site that the EZ Enhancer were built as a "stand alone" enhancer units. Do you think using those pre-sets will make any "conflict" with my two other features (the low pass and parametric eq) in my "enhancer multi-fliter-chain" or in any place make it "overproduced" or superflous in any way?. I do not want to make myself new problems with thinking to complex. according to the late jazz remastering engineer John R.T. davis the less is mostly the best when it comes to restoration work!
      What do you think about my using of the EZ presets togehter with other enhancer units? Best regards Jan

Comment

Hi,

Whether the EZ Enhancer is used as a part of a chain in the Multifilter or as a stand alone process in a series of discrete process creates no distinction between them. Order counts in either case when a non-linear process is involved in the sequence.

As for using the EZ Enhancer presets along with "other enhancer units", I guess it depends on what those other enhancer units are. Theoretically, certain other enhancer units may reverse (to one degree or another) what the EZ Enhancer has already done. So, it really depends.

Craig

ps - Rick and I did some re-mastering work for John (R.T. Davis) some time back - - - I believe that the name of the CD was something like "Red Nichols on Edison, 1924 through 1927" or something like that.
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-08-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

HI!

I mean the EZ enhancer together with the high pass filter and the parametric eq in my 3 unit "enhancer" multifilterchain....
          Should that work out fine or will any of them "disturb" each other in a negative degree according to sound quality???
          Best regards Jan

Comment

Re:

HI!

Maybe I was s bit unclear according to my description of the "enhancer multifilter chain".

You wrote:
            As for using the EZ Enhancer presets along with "other enhancer units", I guess it depends on what those other enhancer units are. Theoretically, certain other enhancer units may reverse (to one degree or another) what the EZ Enhancer has already done. So, it really depends.

Craig

----
            The enhancer multifilterchain I mean consist of (in this running order)
            a) Paragraphiq eq
            b) Low pass filter
            c) EZ Enhancer

Should that work out fine or will any of them "disturb" each other in this sequence?

Best regards Jan

Comment

Quoting Jan:

"The enhancer multifilterchain I mean consist of (in this running order)
              a) Paragraphiq eq
              b) Low pass filter
              c) EZ Enhancer

Should that work out fine or will any of them "disturb" each other in this sequence?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sequence should work fine. I was only trying to make the point that putting the EZ Enhancer in a different location will produce a different result compared to where you have it, but where you have it is fine.

Craig

Comment

re:

Oh yeah; I see; was a bit slow thinking there, guess my enthusiasm took control of my whole brain!

Comment

New idea on enhancing 78 rpm's

HI!

I have by now done a lot more experimenting according to work with enhancing the declicked and dehissed 78 rpm files and have come up with something very interesting I hope there may be something to learn by. I think I have found a way to enhance the signal and in the same way reduced destored signals as well!
                  After the declicking stage I use the bandpass filter with these settings; low freq: 50 / high freq: 10.000 / 24 db/oct./Butterw.
                  After this I run the CNF, att: 25 / rel. 50 and attenuation someplace between 10 and 20, according to age and condition. THEN; after this; I have made myself a multifilter chain called "enhance sound" that consist of the paragraphic eq, where I have lifted the 110 kHz up to 12.00 to enhance the bass response; THEN through the virtual valve and a fantastic pre-set called "High end triode audio preamplifier".

For some reason, when I use the vv and this pre-set it sounds like the rough passages with distortion in some way became "soften up" and it kind of repair them!!
                  I have tried to do the same using various pre-sets on the EZ enhancer, but with no success compared with what the vv and this actually pre-set can do on distored signals. Of course I tried out this pre-set just by "accident"!

May there be something theoretical that can explain this, or is it just a kind of imagine from my point of view???

Also; another thing; on some records where the needle jumps because of defects and damages down in the grooves I have found that in some circustances this can be avoided by lower pressure on the tracking force, NOT higher tracking force. I thought it was quite opposite. With a pressure of 3 grams one of my favorite discs, that I thought was defect, was playing perfectly without any skips, just the clicks that can easily be removed!! What actually is the very reccomended tracking force on 78's and the Stanton 500 cartridge? On the box it tells 2-7 grams; I think this is a very wide range... Until now I hyave used 4 grams.

Hope to hear from you!

Best regards
                  jan
                  NORWAY

Comment

CD on it's way!

HI!

Now I have finally posted a new CD to you as I promised earlier, an original copy of a commercial CD that is internationally marketed! It is by the Swedish accordeonplayer Olle Johnny and contains transfers from 78's and LP's, mostly 78's from the 30's and 40's. Hope you will enjoy it, but don't forget to give feddback about what could be done better, and use sound samples on the forum if you want.
                    http://www.norilds.no/no/produkter/t...krosen-blommar

Another thing; toghether with 2 fine CD's containing Edison laterals I also bought the DVD about the CNF. There is a couple of things I am wondering about:
                    1. Why have you excluded the "smoothing" checkbox on DC7?
                    2. On the DVD you reccomended attack and release time of 200 and 400. In the manual you normally reccomend 125 and 250 for "normal" records, but also 125 and 50-100. Myself I usually have 25 and 50 for such records. What is really reccomendable to start up with?

Best regards
                    Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

Good luck with the new project - - - looking forward to hearing it. Although I can not really read the advert, it does look good.

As for your questions:

1. Why have you excluded the "smoothing" checkbox on DC7?

Answer: We thought that the Artifact Suppression mode supersceded the Smoothing mode, so we eliminated it. We brought it back, however due to popular demand, and it is maintained in DC8.

2. On the DVD you reccomended attack and release time of 200 and 400. In the manual you normally reccomend 125 and 250 for "normal" records, but also 125 and 50-100. Myself I usually have 25 and 50 for such records. What is really reccomendable to start up with?

Answer: The answer is - - - it depends on the nature of the music. Music that is fast moving and having a lot of transients content benefits from shorter attack and release times. Music that is slower benefits from longer attack and release times.

In other words, there is a tradeoff between speed and transient creation. Faster response has a higher proclivity to produce artifacts, but follows music transients better than long attack and release times.

I hope that helps.

Craig
                      Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Have you received the CD yet?

Regards
                        Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

No, not yet. To what addy did you send it and when?

Thanks Again!

Craig

Comment

HI!

SENT IT TO DIAMOND CUT PRODUCTIONS, THE ADRESS YOU GAVE ME. ANYWAY, IT'S NOT THAT MANY DAYS AGO. pLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT ON MONDAY!

REGARDS
                            JAN

Comment

Hi Jan,

Ok - - - these things sometimes get hung up in customs longer than one might expect. I will let you know if it does not arrive by early next week.
                              Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X