Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Flat Pre-Amp

HI!

I am by now doing flat transfers from my 78's using a flat pre-amp, then finding the correct curves using the phono pre-amp in the program.

My only question about this is:
    I use my Rek-O-Kut re-eq with rollover and turnoff knobs set to flat. This unit is stereo in and mono out.
    http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm

Is this the same as with the flat pre-amps that you offer, or do they have other (important) features for doing flat transfers?

Best regards
    Jan
    NORWAY
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-12-2019, 08:47 PM.

Jan,

The difference between the unit you have and the others is that the output is Stereo. Your unit combines them into a monoural output.

Regards,
    Marc

Comment

Jan,

Even though the record may be monophonic, it is often best to transfer it in stereo and de-click in stereo before combining the channels (sum them to mono). This method usually provides superior de-clicking compared to any method in which the signal is first summed to mono and then de-clicked. Secondarily, the software sum to mono process using the file converter filter allows you to bias one channel with respect to the other to obtain the best sum to mono vector for optimal noise reduction.

I think that a good rule to follow is that any process that can be performed in the digital domain is performed best that way compared to performing that process in the analog domain.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Restoring from re-issue LP's of 78 rpm material

HI!

I am about to do a digital restoration of a LP with 78 rpm material. The music is of Glenn Miller and recorded in US. I have by now recorded the LP to the PC using the flat phono pre-amp. BUT; what record type shall I then choose on the phono pre-amp? Shall I choose RIIA vinyl og Americal 78's or is there BETTER WAY TO DO THIS?

Hope to hear from you!

Rest regards
        Jan
        NORWAY

Comment

Hi,

Good question. It is my experience that LP re-isues of 78s already have applied the correct turnover curve to the 78 before encoding the signal into an LP EQ. Thus, you only need to reverse the LP EQ curve.

So, the next question is what LP EQ curve to use? It depends on the label and the year which the release took place. As a good rule of thumb, almost all labels switched over to RIAA around 1954. Prior to that, another standard that existed was the Columbia curve and some others too.

If you have a pre 1954 LP and you want the correct curve for it, check out the presets sharing portion of this forum and download the preset that you find is appropriate for the LP that you are working with.

Craig,

btw - all of these more unusual curves are included in the DC8 software VPP (Virtual Phono Preamp) presets, so it will be less trouble to get to them in the future.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-05-2020, 11:17 PM.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
          X