Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual valve amp and EZ enhancer

HI!

I have by now done a lot more experimenting according to work with enhancing the declicked and dehissed 78 rpm files and have come up with something very interesting I hope there may be something to learn by. I think I have found a way to enhance the signal and in the same way reduced destored signals as well!
    After the declicking stage I use the bandpass filter with these settings; low freq: 50 / high freq: 10.000 / 24 db/oct./Butterw.
    After this I run the CNF, att: 25 / rel. 50 and attenuation someplace between 10 and 20, according to age and condition. THEN; after this; I have made myself a multifilter chain called "enhance sound" that consist of the paragraphic eq, where I have lifted the 110 kHz up to 12.00 to enhance the bass response; THEN through the virtual valve and a fantastic pre-set called "High end triode audio preamplifier".

For some reason, when I use the vv and this pre-set it sounds like the rough passages with distortion in some way became "soften up" and it kind of repair them!!
    I have tried to do the same using various pre-sets on the EZ enhancer, but with no success compared with what the vv and this actually pre-set can do on distored signals. Of course I tried out this pre-set just by "accident"!

What is it with this pre-set on the VV that makes this special effect to the distored signals?

Hope to hear from you!

Best regards
    jan
    NORWAY

Hi Jan,

We provide the paintbrushes and you provide the art. As with a paintbrush, an artist can create an unlimited variation of art, and so is the case with the toolset provided by this software package.

With that said, we have not tested all possible combinations of tools and settings; that would be an impossible task. It looks like you have created something that may not have been created before, and that is great; just do not loose your forumulae (presets).

Maybe even consider sharing your presets with others on this forum via the presets sharing area here?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Jan,

I tried the use of the "High End Triode Preamp" after a boost in the bass for some acoustical recorded 78's. Your method did add some "sparkle" back into the recording.

Strange that a "High End" device would do that...

Regards,
      Marc

Comment

HI!

Very interesting to hear other mean the same; after doing hours and hours just testing and experimenting to find the optimal results it is not always so easy to remember all the details and "tweeking" one has been through!

Of course this pre-set on the VV also brings back a little of the noise from the treble range, but this noise is fairly "anonymous" since the file has been run through the bandpass and CNF before the VV.

Hope for more feed-backs....

Best regards
        jan

Comment

jan,

Yes indeed, the previously reduced surface noise does increase with the enhanced filter. I wonder if this extra noise can be reduced with the Hi Noise feature turned on ?

Regards,
          Marc

Comment

Hi,

The High Noise feature in the VVA should help; when operating in that mode, you will need to adjust the "Detail" control for the optimal performance of the effect. There is a virtual green LED to help you do that.

Craig
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X