Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of crackle

HI!

1. I am by now experimenting with methods of getting rid of crackle on 78's. In the manual ity tells "narrow crackle" or "median filter". Is it possible to maybe use both to obtain a best possible effect, or should only one of them be used in a restoration process? if both may be used in a "crackle" multifilter chain, which one should be placed first AND may it then be placed after running the de-clicking process (EZ impulse, with settings 60/60/60)?

2. ALSO, when reading the manual about restoring a 78 it tells that the first process should be to filter out rumble using the high pass filter, then to do then low pass filter, since the hiss can "fool the algorithm". I have always practised to do the declicking and decrackling processes first. What is correct?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-07-2019, 07:41 PM.

Hi Jan,

I recommend using the EZ Impulse filter first in the lineup. Generally, your crackle setting sounds about right for 78s, but the narrow crackle filter usually can be set near 90 which does a good job. I would not place the median filter first in the chain, but last.

Also, I would get rid of the rumble first with a HPF (High Pass Filter) set for around 50 Hz, 24 dB/Oct, Butterworth response. However, there is no longer a need to run a LPF (low pass filter) since the algorithms are now robust enough that they are no longer fooled by extraneous high frequency noise. Thus, skip the low pass filter step which you mentioned. You can add a low pass filter at the end of the process, however. That is sometimes a good idea, but not before the de-clicking or de-crackling process.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

re

HI!

So you mean this can be a good running order for a basic restoration job of 78's? any comment?
      1: VPA
      2: EZ imp. filter (60/60/60)
      3. stereo/mono
      4: a) narrow crackle (treshold about 90, size about 3) b) median filter (3/0) in a mulitifilter chain
      5. Bandpass: 50hz/10Khz/24 db/oct.
      6: CNF
      7: VV

AND; may I ask what is your favorite pre-set in the Reverb feature for using to "spice up" 78's a bit (the one you used for the Diamond Discs)???

Hope to hear from you!

regards
      Jan

Comment

Hi,

Well, you already have a narrow crackle filter in the EZ Impulse filter (the right most slider), so I do not know if you need to do that process twice. I would set that slider (Narrow Crackle) higher than 60, at least my experience is that something closer to 90 does a better job on 78s. 60 to 70 is a good setting for LPs on that particular control.

Sometimes, you may want to turn on the solo/brass discriminator if you get any distortion (and/or reduce the "Crackle" control down to around 50).

Everything else looks pretty good to me, but slight "tweeks" may be required depending on the noise characteristic of the specifc 78 rpm record.

Craig
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

OK!

AND; may I ask what is your favorite pre-set in the Reverb feature for using to "spice up" 78's a bit (the one you used for the Diamond Discs)???

Hope to hear from you!

regards
          Jan

Comment

Hi,

I do not use the presets; I set the reverb up manually. I do recall, however, that the output mix setting is low (around 10 to 15) and that the internal reflective filters are set for "warm". I vaguely recall that I use a medium or large room setting depending on the type of material. A big band benefits from Large and a simple vocalist benefits from medium.

But, it is completely a matter of personal taste. Do not be afraid to experiment with the slider controls; you will find it very interesting the variations of sound that you can obtain by experimentation.

Craig

Comment

ok, THANKS!!

By the way I am also experimenting with a good starting point using the VV for softening up 78's. I have used the preset "high end triode audio preamp" some times, but it may be a bit too "brightning. Have found that you prefer the TRiode 12AT7, that sounds some kind of different to the 12AX7 that's in the pre-set mentioned. Can you come up with a few hints for a starting point for the 12AT7, I would apreciate that. Working on a new 78 re-issue project and loike to experiment with new sounds during the process...

Best regards
              Jan

Comment

Hi,

The 12AX7 triode is an audio high-mu audio triode and its design is optimized to minimize harmonic distortion (due to its transfer characteristic).

The 12AT7 triode is an RF triode designed to be used as the oscillator/mixer stage used to heterodyne an incomming RF signal with the local oscillator to create an intermediate frequency in TV and FM sets. Thus, it is intentionally designed to be extrememly non-linear. I like the 12AT7 because of the particular distribution of harmonics that it creates, but that is my own personal taste. If you want to compare the spectral distributions made by these tube types, use the make wave generator set for 1 kHz Sine wave. Feed that signal through the VVA and view (Preview) its output on the Spectrum Analyzer. Note that in bypass, there is only one signal present. Note that when the VVA is active, you will see all of the harmonic distortion products created by the tubes. You can also see the effect of changing the operating point, drive level and detail controls.

I hope that helps a little. Again, it is all a matter of personal taste. I think that 78 benefit from the "Warm" setting in the VVA, but others think that the "Sweet" setting is better.

Craig
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-17-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Re;: 12at7

NICE; but can you also give me some starting points for settings (drive, operating, detail, mix), please? I have found that the "warm" position also suits me...

Regards
                  Jan

Comment

Hi,

I start with the Operating Point in the middle (the most linear and widest dynamic range for the device), Drive in the middle and the Detail control about 25 percent up from the bottom position.

Craig

Comment

HI!

You mean settings drive: 50 / operating point: 0 / detail 25 and then push mix up to desired result...??

Do you combine this VV device together with other devices in your enhancer system, or is this the only enhancer you use for normal purposes of 78's?
                      Jan

Comment

Hi,

I just looked at my own personal settings on the VVA and it is as follows for 78s:

Drive: 50

Operating Point: 0

Detail: 18

Spectrum: Warm

Mix: Adjust to specific situation

Please note that I seem to use Spectrum = Sweet on LP or tape restorations.

Craig

ps - I also use the P & C dynamics processor in various ways as an enhancer as well as the "Enhancer Mode" of the Dynamic Noise Filter. It really all depends on the specific situation or audio problem as I see it for any given recording. So, it varies.
                        Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

OK!

Do you combine this VV device together with other devices (filters etc...) in your enhancer system, or is this the only enhancer you use for normal purposes of 78's?
                          As you see, I'm trying hard to capture that California Ramblers CD sound of yours!!

Jan

Comment

Hi,

Well, it was a long time ago that Rick and I released the California Ramblers CD, so it is extremely hard to say. But, in general, I like to combine filters and effects in the Multifilter to fit a given restoration. So, the general answer is yes, I do combine multiple filters and effects.

There is a secondary advantage to the use of the Multifilter rather than using one process at a time. By using the Multifilter, the math is not rounded after each process; it remains as a dual-precision floating point value throughout the entire restoration process. This can make a minor difference in the performance of the system - - - but it is probably a lot more important with LPs and magnetic tapes compared to 78s.

I hope that helps a bit.

Craig

Comment

Re; killing crackle on 78's

HI!

Still strugglign about the crackle that should be removed a bit more (compared with your CD-productions). Do you have better starting points, or comments, since you are able to kill so much crackle? By the way here is my new set up for 78's, if you hva any comments on that as well....

1: VPA
                              2: EZ imp. filter (60/60/90, solo brass on)
                              3. stereo/mono
                              4: median filter (3/0) in a mulitifilter chain
                              5. Bandpass: 50hz/10Khz/24 db/oct.
                              6: CNF: 4096 FFT; att.125, rel. 250, atten. ca 15-20
                              7: Par. eq. basslift 110 hz utp to about 10db
                              8: VV: 12AT7/warm, 50/0/18/80

Best regards

Jan
                              Last edited by Jan Myren; 03-21-2010, 05:52 PM. Reason: Copied your signature name onto my document instead of mine

Comment

Working...
                              X