Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attac and release time and FFT in CNF

HI!

I have just watched the video about CNF that I bought from you. Normally I have used attack 25 and release 50 and FFT 2048. This has normally reduced a fair share of noise, but introduced some digital artifacts and other unwanted noises to the file. In the video it is told that values of attack about 200 and release of 400 and FFT 2048 should work well. On it htey restoed an old radio programme, I am not sure if tose settings they do not tell if those values also works for 78's. I have checked out this for 78's, and yes, much of the digital artifacts are gone, but what I can hear is som2 strange sounds, especially around the "s"'-es to the vocalists in the sound.

I think maybe I have used a bit too low attack and release times before, the reason is that I mainly do music that runs relatively fast and constant and maybe need to have some right "attack" times. Can you please come up with some good starting points for attack, release and FFT values for my kind of material that is pop and jazz 78-rpm records, music that runs relatively fast!

PS; on LP's and 45's I have found that att: 25 and rel. 50/FFT 2048 works very well!

Hope to hear from you!
    Best regards
    jan

Hi,

It is my opinion that the only rule is that there are no rules here, only tradeoffs. Fast attack and release times produce better envelope following of transient information, but produce more artifacts. Slow attack and release time produce lower levels of artifacting, but poorer transient response. Similarly, small values of fft produce better transient response but poorer frequency selectivity.

So, it all depends on the signal that you are dealing with.

For 78s, I start out with fft = 4096, attack = 50 mSec, Release = 100 mSec and then adjust from there until I am satisified with the balance between transient response, noise removal and finally, artifact production.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
    X