Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are using a Mac to run any of versions of the DC programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you are using a Mac to run any of versions of the DC programs?

It would be helpful if we had some idea of everyone is that is using a Mac and some type of emulator [Parallels, Bootcamp, etc.], and how we can help each other.

also, it might help spur others to consider the Mac platform for stability and the lack of need for anti-virus protection, while still having the ability to run all the great DC programs.

I currently run Parallels and have it configured so that I can drag from the mac desktop across to the Windows desktop or into programs and back again. it makes for a simulated one platform setup. I usually am running xxx, xxx, xxx, etc. on the Mac side and at the same time run DC7, xxx, and additional printing programs on the Windows side... dragging files back and forth.... while on the internet.

anyone else doing this?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-05-2010, 02:19 AM.

Hi,

Except for the virus thing, a computer is a compter these days. They all use the same type of architecture in their CPU (Intel is a common chip used in both Macs and PCs). All that these machines are doing when using Diamond Cut is some serious number crunching.

I keep my main audio computer offline; it does not even have an internet connection - - - works great.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
      I keep my main audio computer offline; it does not even have an interconnect connection - - - works great.

Craig
      I do the same and it's quite a revelation to discover how little RAM is required for a DC product to satisfactorily operate on a pc with no web security and other programs running in the background which depend on internet connection.
      Danny Gilbert

Comment

Keeping a Windows computer offline is a good way to reduce the chances of getting hit with a virus, as long as you never accept an audio file from someone else on a flash drive, CD-R, etc.

And having two computers is beyond the financial reach of many hobbyists.

That being said, my long delayed Linux computer will be ready soon. Getting hit with a serious virus attack last year only deepened my dislike of Windows. Spending about five hours a week doing various anti-malware/anti-virus scans only adds insult to injury.

The irony is that if I keep my Windows computer running for DC8 I will still need an antivirus program on the Linux computer -- not to screen for Linux viruses (what's that?), but to prevent the Linux computer from passing along a virus to the Windows box if I ever use a flash drive, etc., to pass along an audio file, program update, etc., etc.

Comment

Hi,

I have never heard of a virus being attached to an audio file. Is there really any need for concern about that?

??

Craig

Comment

No, I've never heard of a virus attaching to an audio file, but some infections spread by recognizing flash drives, etc., and installing a new, hidden autorun.inf file.

Note that I'm not an expert -- any more than I had to become to clean my computer.

Still, I was pretty familiar with UNIX back when I was working at Bell Labs, and the idea that a computer will automatically just run anything based on its file extension seems like a really, really bad idea.

Comment

For some reason, this thread is starting to remind me of an old and favorite album of mine

Last edited by ; 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

In the words of the great Doctor Johnny Fever, "When everybody's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking."

Comment

Paranoia strikes deep; into your heart it will creep.

I am not sure who wrote that line - - - Crosby, Still and Nash, maybe?

Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I have heard that there are many issues using 'torrents' to share audio files, but I don't think the viruses are part of the audio files themselves - I think the torrents open up ports for attack, but I suspect that is where the concern comes from - people downloading or sharing audio files end up with viruses and computers that have been taken over via viruses.

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

This thread is hilarious.... the best laugh I've had in weeks. Hey, folks, I've got some aluminum hats and lead filled boots for sale. I hear they work great for keeping those nasty viruses away when you are working on your computer....

Comment

Paranoia strikes deep; into your heart it will creep.

I am not sure who wrote that line - - - Crosby, Still and Nash, maybe?
                        It's the song, "For What It's Worth", by Buffalo Springfield, written by Stephen Stills
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by Geebster View Post
                          This thread is hilarious.... the best laugh I've had in weeks. Hey, folks, I've got some aluminum hats and lead filled boots for sale. I hear they work great for keeping those nasty viruses away when you are working on your computer....

while we're quoting from songs, how about this one from the Grateful Dead:

"Nobody's messing with you but you... your friends are getting most concerned."
                          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the clarification - - - it is good to know that my memory was at least in the right ball park! Wow, that was a long time ago.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X