Cleaning tails on vinyl tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning tails on vinyl tracks

I am new here so this may have been discussed elsewhere but I just can find it. I have been working with DC7 (and now DC8) for about 6 months converting vinyl to digital. The only thing I am having trouble cleaning up is the scratchy rumble as the tracks fade out in the end (or even very soft beginnings). I believe this noise is caused simply from the needle riding the track. I have tried HP filters and some of the built in de-thumpers and have really had no luck. I have been able to clean some of it up with the continuous noise filter but it takes some of the good stuff with it. I am now asking for help/suggestions from the seasoned vets. Anyone know how to clean this up? Thanks!

Hi,

Read up on the "Filter Sweeper" (found under the effects menu) and apply it selectively on the heads and tails. It does a nice job on these sectors. I use it twice; one pass with High pass (for rumble) and the second pass with low pass (for hiss).

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Scratchy Tails

Hi Craig, I have been playing with the sweeper filter as you suggested and dont seem to be getting there. Can you suggest a good starting place? Nothing I do seems to do anything to clean this up. I really dont have any hiss to deal with (well on some of the old, old stuff I have I do but Im not ready to tackle those yet) just that scratchy noise. Thanks!
      BTW, I love the new interpolation on 8; amazing tool!!

Comment

Hi,

It is so hard to tell from words on the forum. Send me the "tail" of the file and I will clean it up.

I am at dctools@aol.com

Craig

Comment

After I hear the tail and clean it up, I will be in a position to explain exactly what needed to be done.

Craig

Comment

Followup

Hi Lawman,

I do not know if you sent that "tail", but I have not received it yet. Please send same so that I can evaluate it.

As and aside, another way to approach rumble on lead-in and lead-out (heads and tails) of files is the CNF used is a special way over a very limited range of frequencies.

Set the CNF for 8192 ffts. Take a fingerprint of the noise inbetween the cuts. Move the threshold up around 8 clicks. Next, drag all of the inflection points above 200 Hz all the way down to the bottom of the graph. Lastly, while previewing the signal, adjust the attenuation control for the best sound quality.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X