Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When To De-Click

Group,

I have searched the forum and found some different opinions on the correct time to " De-Click " the music ; i.e. before or after the correct EQ is applied to the music.

Background : I now have a decent sound card and a flat preamp. As such, I'm taking a fresh look at my previous 78 record restoration work. Also, I have a Grado cartridge with a "78C" needle that is giving me a different playback "sound" from my 78 records......so.......

My first thought is that the LAST operation to do is to apply the correct EQ to the music, as the various filters, EZ Impulse, CNF, etc. would benifit from having more high frequency energy to work. Also, if you get the background "hiss" reduced before the last EQ step, then the music will sound better with the additional low frequencies added after EQ operation and make the remaining hiss sound even lower.

Comments ?

Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-25-2019, 09:41 PM.

Hi Marc,

I am not sure what works the best, but I can say what our thinking was when we designed the filters. We had intended for the impulse filters to work properly with the correct EQ applied first (before de-clicking). However, there is some strong evidence that de-clicking "flat" (before applying the EQ curve) is more effective per some other folks comments on the subject over the years. Hopefully, they will chime in about it.

As for the Continious Noise Filter, the recommendation is to apply EQ first and then de-hiss, but that is also subject to debate. I guess that the best thing is to try both approaches and see what happens on a given recording.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I can't say truthfully one way or the other is better, but I always do my de-clicking before applying any EQ. I assumed it didn’t make much difference for 78s as the top end of the EQ curve presets are flat anyway and the impulse noise filter is targeted at transient responses.
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Hi Doug,

Right - 78 electricals have no specified high-frequency pre-emphasis; they only have low frequency turnover. But, the filters do use (as part of the algorithm) the wide bandwidth signal too. So, it really comes down to what you think works best on a given recording.

Craig

Comment

As a follow on to this note :

I have found that the 'Big Click" does a great job only if it's applied first and not part of a multifilter .

The use of the Big Click filter seems to help the follow on filters like the EzImpulse work better. Although I can't prove the comment, it seems that more "high frequency energy" and "brightness" are maintained if the Big Click does it's work first.

The best thing is to use records that don't need the big click filter....but my records are pretty beat-up !

Marc

Comment

I agree - - - the Big Click Filter should be used first (before) the other impulse related filters like the EZ Impulse filter or the Expert Impulse filter or the Narrow Crackle filter.

And -

For optimal results, the CNF should only be used after the de-clicking process is complete.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X