ground problem with an electric guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground problem with an electric guitar

Any suggestions on how to deal with a ground problem for an electric guitar in a recording made circa 1968?

The recording quality is very good, but it sounds like one of the guitars wasn't grounded properly. There's an irritating buzz sound throughout, and sometimes it buzzes in time to one of the guitars. (sounds like the buzz goes out when a finger hits a string).

I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems able to deal with it, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-03-2020, 12:35 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Hi Dan,

Send me a short sample of the .wav file and I will take a look at it and try to make a recommendation.

dctools@aol.com or craig@diamondcut.com

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

" What's the Frequency Dan ? "

I have been waiting to use that line for years.....

Anyone know where that comment came from ?

Marc

Comment

Achhh - who knows; sounds like something on the evening news.

Craig

Comment

Craig, Craig......

Dan Rather was "ruffed up" on the street one night and the attacker said to him " Dan, what's the frequency" ? The story was really strange and at the time Dan Rather's ratings on TV were dropping.

It was an interesting story and gave some "fuel to the fire" for critics of Dan Rather.

Marc

Comment

I think it goes back to old British radio - 'what's the frequency Kenneth?" but I'm not sure.

Thanks Craig - will send later today.
            Dan McDonald

Comment

I guess I was mistaken. All I can find on the internet is the reference to the song, which was related to the Dan Rather beating in the 80s.
              I thought there was an earlier use of it in an old radio show. My mind must be playing tricks on me.
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Marc,

Quoting Marc:

"Dan Rather was "ruffed up" on the street one night and the attacker said to him " Dan, what's the frequency" ?" Marc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know - that was the reason for my subtle reference to "sounds like something on the evening news."

Oh, well. Probably, I was too subtle.

Craig

Comment

Dan,

I got your file and I had to use the Forensics AFDF to get at the buzz. I think that is because the fundamental frequency is wandering around coupled with the fact that is harmonically rich. So, it needed an adaptive filter with very high frequency resolution to attack it. I just sent you the settings that I used. Let me know if they work out - I only used it on the Right Channel because the other channel seemed ok.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X