Cnf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cnf

Just checking in the 'collective knowledge' here. As far as we know, there's no advantage to higher sampling rates when using the CNF is there? I know it helps with impulse noise, but I wondered about the CNF.

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-25-2019, 10:17 AM.
    Dan McDonald

Dan,

I asked a similar question recently, but I didn't ask it in a very clear manor. The post was on 5/15/12.

The answer that I received was that the CNF operation should be used at 44.1 kHz.

My limited testing showed that the 96 setting didn't work as well as 44.1

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Hildebrant; 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Hi -

When one uses a higher sample rate with the CNF, the frequency bin width is raised. So, for example, if you are using 1024 ffts at 44.1 kHz, the bin width will be ~ 86 hz. That same fft size at 96 kHz will become ~188 Hz. So, put another way, the selectivity of the CNF is reduced with higher sample rates at a given fft size. In audible terms, it may have a harder time discriminating adjacent noise frequencies from one another, but will have an improved time domain transient response. So, I guess one should consider raising the fft size for 96 kHz sampled files to get similar results compared to 44.1 kHz sampled files.

I do not know if that answer is clear - - - probably not. Let me know if not and I will try to clarify it some more.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

That's clear, Craig and Marc. So I guess if you are working with a 96kHz file and you're not ready to convert to 16 bits yet, you could raise the fftsize to compensate. Is there a basic formula for estimating how the sample rate and fft size change the bin size?
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

Bin (frequency) Width will be:

F(bw) = (Sample Rate) / (FFT Size / 2)

where F(bw) is in Hertz

&

where Sample Rate is given in Samples per second.

Craig
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Great thanks Craig.
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
              Hi -

When one uses a higher sample rate with the CNF, the frequency bin width is raised. So, for example, if you are using 1024 ffts at 44.1 kHz, the bin width will be ~ 86 hz. That same fft size at 96 kHz will become ~188 Hz. So, put another way, the selectivity of the CNF is reduced with higher sample rates at a given fft size.
              So it implies another question-isn't better to make downsampling to 22 kHz?

Comment

Hi Ric,

No - downsampling to 22.05 kHz will cut the top end off and you will only have a frequency response to ~ 11 kHz. Not a good idea. To imrove selectivity, consider raising the FFT Size.

Craig

Comment

Usualy for typical music, as a starting point I use 2048. Is it ok or better to start from bigger value?

Comment

Hi,

I have found that it largely depends on the nature of the music as to what value ultimately works the best. But, I too start off with 2048 and then experiment up or down from there.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X