Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC8 can't find sound card

Hi everyone

For various reasons I haven't been very active in DC8 recently and had temporarily disconnected the soundcard, a Delta Audio 2496. Everything works for aux input and computer out etc., but when I try to set levels I get a message:
    There is a problem with your hardware. to install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

Going to Add hardware doesn't indicate anything wrong and I've hopefully set Edit/Preferences/Soundcard alright. Did a brief crosscheck with another audio programme and I got recorded music. Any clues?

Phil, London
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-14-2019, 12:52 PM.

Hi,

Are you saying that DC8 does not work with the motherboard soundcard as well as the Delta Audio soundcard too? Or is it just not working with the Delta card? What does the DC8 soundcard preferences show as available devices for Input and Output?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I have a 24/96 also, and I remember it taking a long time to set up, but once I got it set it worked fine. I do recall getting that message but don't recall how to resolve it. I guess this post isn't helpful, except to say that DC8 does work with it.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
        Hi,

Are you saying that DC8 does not work with the motherboard soundcard as well as the Delta Audio soundcard too? Or is it just not working with the Delta card? What does the DC8 soundcard preferences show as available devices for Input and Output?

Craig
        I had disconnected the mother board card and turned it back on tonight. Same message.
        Built in soundcard is SoundMax Digital Audio. Options given for the Delta 24/96 in both record and
        playback are:
        M Audio Delta AP 1/2
        M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF
        M Audio Delta AP Mon.Mixer
        M Audio Delta AP Multi

The only setting where I don't get the message is on M Audio Delta AP S/PDIF in checking record levels or Live feed, but nothing happens when I press Play/record in Live and Check Levels in Record. Maybe the Patchbay router on the card.
        Phil

Comment

Hi,

I am just guessing that something (a file) is corrupted somewhere. Not sure where. Maybe try un-installing the DC8 software and then re-installing it.

BTW - does it behave any differently between the WDM vs the MME drivers which can be selected under the DC8 soundcard preferences menu?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
            Hi,

I am just guessing that something (a file) is corrupted somewhere. Not sure where. Maybe try un-installing the DC8 software and then re-installing it.

BTW - does it behave any differently between the WDM vs the MME drivers which can be selected under the DC8 soundcard preferences menu?

Craig
            tried WDM but still getting same message. tried reinstalling software and reinstalling DC8. Checked with DC7 - same message. I wonder if a reinstall of XP would fix it? Or more up to date soundcard. Prefer phono in/out. Recommendations?
            Phil

Comment

Hi,

I do not know of any soundcards that have a direct phono in/out. The ones that I am familiar with have a line level input and a microphone level input (monophonic). So, you would still need a preamplifier if you purchased another soundcard.

But, I would still work on finding out what the issue is with the soundcard that you have. I think that it is/was a good one and I know that a lot of folks use it. Is it possible that the soundcard driver has an issue? Is there another (more up to date) driver that you can download from the the Delta Audio company?

As for a re-install of XP, I do know that most IT managers go for that solution whenever they see issues like this. I guess that must often work, but it seems like it would be a pain to do, but maybe less of a pain than purchasing a new soundcard.

Let us know what you learn.

Craig

Comment

Hi Craig
                DC8.1 is recognising the built in SoundMax digital audio card - can record and play back ok. However, it still won't recognise the record side of the Delta 24/96 soundcard. Recorded material plays back fine. I've tried all ways with the Patchbay/Router on the 24/96 to no avail, reinstalled drivers, been meticulous in setup and reinstalled DC8.1. Every time on record I get the same message:There is a problem with your hardware. to install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. I have done this many times to no avail. BTW the 24/96 does have phono in/out. Probably very simple solution but still baffling.
                Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

I am under the impression that your 24/96 used to work fine since you used the words "temporarily disconnected". Did it previously work ok?

Anyway, maybe the message "There is a problem with your hardware" is an accurate report. Soundcards can fail. I have had a soundcard failure here occur after a lightning storm (an old Turtle Beach card - - - produced similar symptoms as you describe).

I have the feeling that it is time to send that soundcard back to Delta for repair.

Craig
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Hi Craig
                    Well, I put the 2496 to rest and replaced it with a Juli@ sound card. All is now well, except that the software installed the win 7 version instead of XP. Sorted now but uninstalling is a bind, not simply Add/remove. thanks for your last recommendation
                    Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear that you had to buy a new card. Perhaps you can send the 24/96 card back to the manufacturer and get it fixed (anyway) so that you have a good back-up sound card. It might be worth the cost to do that. In the meantime, I am happy to learn that you are up and running again.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X