Recording Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Volume

I am trying to record "Legrand Jazz", that has a lot of high frequency brass (I think trumpet is the problem). I use the "Solo/Brass" setting, but the right channel keeps flashing over 0db, Is there a way that I can reduce the db during recording, to help keep down high frequency distortion during the recording process. I think I've found the problem to fix this...I reduced the volume on my sound card.

Also, what is the optimum level for processing and burning CD's. What do most people use -5 db?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-27-2019, 05:26 PM.

Hi Ringmaster,

The "Solo/Brass" feature does not effect the recording level. That is part of the EZ Impulse and Expert Impulse filter system allowing it to "ignore" brass instruments (which can easily fool impulse detection algorithms). If you are getting distortion during the recording process, you need to reduce the signal level comming into the soundcard or turn down the sound card input level (maybe via its control panel).

For burning CD's, I using use "Normalize Gain Scaling) set to -1.7 dB. That allows for some discrepancies in low quality D/A converters without producing playback overload situations.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

After my post, I realized someone had played with my input levels, and I reduced the input level, and rerecorded the LP. I've done fine for most of the recording restoration; however, I have one track that has really bad trumpet distortion, and manual interpolation would be quite intensive. I am restoring a "Michael Legrand (Legrand Jazz), featuring Miles Davis", for a friend, and I have a strong dislike for Jazz, unless I can find a tune to whistle, and this particular track is all over the place. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your suggestion, regarding the "Normalize Gain Scaling"; I've been meaning to ask this question for some time, I think I've been working around it with Manual Interpolation, without too much trouble until now...

Incidentally, I've gone through a period where I had lost interest in my restoration, but I am making myself get back into it again (winter is coming, and it fills in the void).

Thank for your help.

Thanks Again

Comment

Craig,

After my post, I realized someone had played with my input levels, and I reduced the input level, and rerecorded the LP. I've done fine for most of the recording restoration; however, I have one track that has really bad trumpet distortion, and manual interpolation would be quite intensive. I am restoring a "Michael Legrand (Legrand Jazz), featuring Miles Davis", for a friend, and I have a strong dislike for Jazz, unless I can find a tune to whistle, and this particular track is all over the place. Most of the distortion has been corrected on the other tracks, using the "Artifact Supression"; also, I've used the "Low Pass Filtering", and they don't seem to be taking care of this track. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your suggestion, regarding the "Normalize Gain Scaling"; I've been meaning to ask this question for some time, I think I've been working around it with Manual Interpolation, without too much trouble until now...

Incidentally, I've gone through a period where I had lost interest in my restoration, but I am making myself get back into it again (winter is coming, and it fills in the void).

I've just replayed the actual LP, for the track in question, and it has a lot of crackle and pops, but none of the distortion that I've described above. I'm wondering what may have introduced the distortion; should I extract this track and process separately?

Thank for your help.

Thanks Again
        Last edited by Ringmaster; 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM. Reason: Add additional paragraph

Comment

Hi Ringmaster,

I think that I would re-transfer the track in question and just work on that separately. If it has a lot of crackle, the EZ Impulse filter's Crackle filter should help (and since it has brass, turn on the solo brass feature checkbox - - - that uses pattern recognition techniques to reduce distortion of the brass instruments). Pops can be reduce with the scratch control or the big clicks feature (or via manual interpolation - either the I (interpolate) or the O (oterpolate) keys. Lastly, the CNF can be quite useful in attenuating left-over crackle.

Let us know how you make out - - -

Craig

Comment

Okay,

I just went through my various file renderings. I had successively processed the standard Typical 33 Vinyl (007.2), then I processed the EZ Impulse @ 72-70-84 (007.3); then I processed the EZClean @80-70-40 (007.4). This is where the distortion was introduced. It looks like I have to go back to the EZ Impulse rendering, and reprocess the EZ Clean using different settings. This is where my "Dewey Decimal" Save as settings come in handy; I save each rendering in consecutive order (I just thought this might be of interest to you.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster,

80-70-40 does not sound like a good setting, in general. I usually use 50 - 50 - 75. Give that a try.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X