Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Cleanup/Restoration - Order of operations

Hi All,

Does the following seem correct/what you do?

To clean up an LP

First - run big click filter
    Second - set up multifilter and run a scratch/crackle filter (EZ noise removal or manual settings) set to remove light scratch (5-10 times in succession so that the scratches are progressively removed.
    THird - run a Continuous Noise Filter.
    Finally, manually interpolate the remaining glitches.

Does this sound right?

Cheers (and thanks in advance for feedback you may give,)

eddie

Hi eddie -

I think the manual actually has the steps listed. Yours sounds like it will work fine, but you may want to check the manual. The main consideration is to de-click before any noise reduction.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

I have changed my clean-up somewhat.

I used to do the manual fix at the end of the clean-up...but I found that the continuous noise filter seemed to "smear" the clicks somewhat and make them hard to find/fix.

Currently, I manually de-click after I use the EZFilter and before anything else. In that way, the clicks and pops are easy to see and fix.

Marc

Comment

Yes, that's exactly right, Marc. Best to de-click before the cnf. CNF should always be the last thing you do, I believe. I should have mentioned that earlier.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Folks,

Yes - - - CNF (Continuous Noise Filtering) should always be performed after the Impulse Noise Filtering process is completed (EZ Impulse, Expert Impulse, Manual Interpolation {I-key or O-key}). That is the way that the system was designed to perform optimally.

Craig

keywords: Filter Order, Impulse Filter Order, CNF Filter Order, Restoration Filter Order, Restoration Filters Order, Continuous Filter Order, INF Order, De-Clicking Filter Order, Filter Sequence, CNF Sequence, INF Sequence
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks All.

Much appreciated.

eddie
            Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
            Hi Folks,

Yes - - - CNF (Continuous Noise Filtering) should always be performed after the Impulse Noise Filtering process is completed (EZ Impulse, Expert Impulse, Manual Interpolation {I-key or O-key}). That is the way that the system was designed to perform optimally.

Craig

Comment

I generally start by de-clicking using the impulse noise filter (although 5-10 times seems a little like overkill to me), and then with the ease of scanning through the wave form like no other application does (thanks Craig and Rick!), I manually get rid of anything it missed (generally using the "I" command to interpolate), then run the CNF, and then run the EZ-Enhancer with the Audiophile preset slightly modified (which I love, to put a little extra high-end and punch back in the music).

I have restored some albums for some friends of mine and they swear that I must have purchased the CD instead.
              Last edited by sus4chord; 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM.
              John

Comment

Quoting John:

"I have restored some albums for some friends of mine and they swear that I must have purchased the CD instead."

That is quite an endorsement by your friends of the quality of work that you do!

Craig
                "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
                X