Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the VVA to restore mp3 sourced audio files

Craig and Rick;

Being recently interested in ‘restoring’ mp3 sourced wav files and determining the best way of doing this, I took advantage of your suggestion to use the Virtual Valve Amplifier to add more interest and harmonics to what are otherwise flat sounding mp3 sourced audio files. I have also found this same technique useful in restoring downloads or on-demand streaming audio files/WiFi radio files recorded directly from diverse online sources. These files are also reduced in frequency content and fidelity in all sorts of convoluted ways.

May I first say that you both have earned far beyond an ‘A+’ on the design and development of the VVA. I know this tool has been around for a while but only recently have I taken a very close and serious look at it. Since your suggestion, I have spent many hours experimenting with every possible option of the VVA, and I am in wonder about the amount of time it took you to model out all these vacuum tube response curves. It may be that you have to be of a certain age to appreciate vacuum tubes - and perhaps the younger folks just don’t get it – but nonetheless, tubes still have lived on beyond anyone’s imagination, including my own.

Also the idea and irony of using a vacuum tube simulator to restore ‘modern’ mp3 sourced audio files is quite amusing to me.

I found the online Wikipedia article on the VVA to be very useful. This is much of the same info the DC8 manual has, but adds some additional insights. Perhaps one of you wrote it, so thanks for this as well.

I have noticed the VVA can synthesize frequencies to 20 Khz and further, which is beyond the range the DC8 EQ filters can really handle. The level of these additional frequencies at 20 Khz cannot be actually controlled with the EQ filter [this is easily observable with the Spectrum Analyzer]. But since we cannot hear any of this, it is really a minor issue. This is just an observation and you may want to correct it in some way with a modification to the EQ filters, with an absolute cutoff at 20 Khz.

As you suggested, I have found both the VVA and the Harmonic Overtone Synthesizer useful in filling out the upper frequency ranges of these mp3 sourced audio files. There is the great advantage the VVA has of adding diverse harmonics to the whole file spectrum in a way the Overtone Synthesizer does not do, but the Synthesizer can be set up to only add harmonics to frequencies above a certain frequency threshold – I have found this difference to be distinctly useful at times as with working with very clean source files.

In an early posting, I suggested adding some more manual controls to the Overtone Synthesizer to allow precise control of a few of the lower level harmonics in an individual way, rather than just the 2nd harmonic as it is now. I still believe this would be useful because of the operative frequency control the Synthesizer has [but the VVA does not have]. No other audio tool that I know would have such control with the upper harmonics if this tool was developed.

Secondly, I suggest an additional audio tool to the DC product line – an MP3 Restorer – which uses the VVA and Harmonic Overtone Synthesizer software to automatically restore an mp3 file back to the original level of harmonic content. This tool would be modeled to possibly read in the mp3 file and automatically determine the best frequency component additions, adding them to the resultant wav file. Or the user could manually set what was the original coding rate of the mp3 file [32, 64, 96, 128kbs, etc], and the tool would use this information to determine the best audio enhancements. No other DAW audio tool has such a mp3 file restorer, and this would be a great restoration addition to a future generation of DC8.

As I understand it, encoding a file to mp3 does three main things:

1. Truncates the high frequencies, the severity of which is dependent on the coding rate.
    2. Does not encode frequency components at or near the threshold of hearing [guessing -70 to -90db, according to a prescribed hearing curve].
    3. Ignores audible but lower level background audio information [guessing -40 to -60db] if the average primary audio signal level is very loud.

Additionally, encoding to mp3 may do this as well:

4. Bass response is reduced
    5. 1 to 4 Khz frequency range is slightly emphasized
    6. Stereo separation is reduced.

In decoding the mp3 back to wav, this new MP3 Restorer tool would be able to synthesize items 1&2 above using the existing software, but I believe item 3 is something that would be more difficult to recreate. However it may be possible, using a look-ahead function, to temporarily bring up the level of low-level synthesized harmonics during loud passages while at the same time temporarily changing the harmonic diversity to partially simulate the lost content of item 3. Items 4-6 would be reversed via Diamond Cut's own proprietary methods.

All of this is just a thought. But mostly I want to thank you for the work you did on the VVA - this is a real hidden treasure that needs to be positively recognized.

Phillip
    Last edited by Phillip; 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM.

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your appreciation of the work involved in creating the VVA. It was created quite some time back now, but it was a large effort on our part. The result is a very versatile toolset, as you have noted. It, when used with the Multifilter and the overtone and subharmonic synthesizers can produce some astonishing results.

As a note of detail pertaining to the VVA operation, the Warm, Sweet, controls are essentially crossover networks limiting the tube action to certain high passed frequencies. Similarly, the Fat Bass checkbox provides a low pass crossover to limit the tube action to lower frequencies. Of course, the Full Range checkbox does just that.

As for the Diamond Cut EQ's, most of them are fixed frequency, fixed bandwidth types. For example, the 10, 20 and 30 band EQs are fixed frequency, fixed bandwidth. However, the Paragraphic EQ is not. It's upper frequency limit is set by "sample theorem". So, if you apply a signal sampled at 192 kHz to it, you can equalize all the way up to 96 kHz. Try it yourself by using the "Make Waves" function found under the Edit menu and then apply the paragraphic EQ and you shall see what I am saying.

As for some of the other things that you mentioned, Rick and I (licensed to Diamond Cut Productions, Inc) do have provisional patents on some of the mp3 enhancement things that you mentioned and more (which we had gotten around 10 years ago). But, other things pushed us in other directions shortely thereafter when we developed the Forensics Audio Suite of software. Maybe it is time to review our past work in this area if there is a large enough interest in it.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Again,

Something worth looking into within the context of the Virtual Valve Amplifier is its "Exciter" mode. It operates differently than the other active amplifier modes. Here are a few things about it taken from the users guide:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exciter - This check box enables the Harmonic Exciter feature of the DC8/LIVE VVA. The exciter uses a simulation of a vacuum tube rectifier (6X4) to produce harmonics. Asymmetry between the positive and negative going transfer function establishes the relationship between the degree of even and odd harmonics produced. For more details on its performance, please refer to the Harmonic Exciter description under the Operating Point Control description.

Harmonic Exciter Mode: When the system is placed into harmonic “Exciter” mode, the operating point control reverts to a “Harmonics Control” which varies the distribution of harmonics that are produced by the VVA. The Harmonic Exciter is designed to provide the following audio enhancements:

A. Synthesize the upper register harmonics that may have become lost through “generation loss” or due to the poor frequency response of the master recording.

B. Add “presence” to a vocal recording.

C. Create a more “up-front” sound on any modern recording.

When the control is set to +100, both even and odd harmonics are produced. When the control is set to –100, only the first 3 to 4 even harmonics of the fundamental are produced. Settings in between will produce varying combinations of the two extreme settings. The system is placed into harmonic Exciter mode by checking the “Exciter” box listed under Tube Type / Configuration, located at the bottom of the VVA window. The magnitude of the inserted Exciter effect is controlled by the “Mix” control.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Hi Again,

I forgot to mention the author of the Wikipedia article pertaining to the VVA. It was written by Doug who is a member of this forum. Doug lives in Australia and has several advanced degrees in Engineering, and his article does add some good insight into the VVA system.

Thanks to Doug for writing that article. It can be viewed at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Valve_Amplifier

Craig
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Craig;

Thanks for the information about the VVA 'Exciter' mode.

I like to think of the Operating Point of the VVA as being the grid voltage control [or bias control].
          I visualize the VVA Drive control as an adjustable preamplifier before the virtual tube followed by
          an attenuator before the final mix to the working file...

Phillip

Comment

Hi,

The operating point of the VVA is what you say that it is; it essentially sets the dc load-line for the tube/device/system being used. The drive control varies the AC signal into the system while inversely decreasing it on the output so that the overall processed signal is roughly constant except for the degree of harmonics created. You can see the action of these controls via a "Make Waves" Sine Wave and the Spectrum Analyzer coupled with the Harmonic Distortion Analyzer (part of the Spectrum Analyzer).

Craig

Comment

I have a tape I recorded in 1974 through a cheap mono cassette recorder but a decent microphone. The musicians were using a pa system that was really designed for speeches (not music). Anyway, the sound is essentially in the mid ranges and trails off fast as it gets into the upper and lower registers. I found the VVA seems to give that recording a more "rounded" or natural sound as well.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan;

I am still experimenting, but the approach I have been using recently to revive mp3 sourced files is to use the VVA in Exciter mode [fat bass] on the file, then use the Overtone Synthesizer to really fill out the high harmonics to 20 khz in an exaggerated way. At this point, it arguably would not hurt to run the VVA once again [full range] on the file using a light touch with one of the 12A[X]7 tubes, followed by a final check of the overall EQ. This approach seems as good as any but it is definitely not the only way for mp3 files or old recordings. I have processed a large number of mp3 sourced files similarly [including compressed files from online sources], and created final CDs from the same to pass onto friends who were interested in a particular recording. There has been general disbelief the final CD recording was originally a compressed mp3 file.

I also found the best guide to use while doing all of this is the Spectrum Analyzer and not your ears [not that your ears can't be trusted, but they can be fooled!]. Also, it is useful to see what unedited music with high harmonic content looks like on the Spectrum Analyzer, such as symphonic or organ music - this as a guide to see what high fidelity really should look like...

Phillip
                Last edited by Phillip; 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Hi Phillip,

Another tool to view the audio signal in the frequency domain is the spectrograph found under the Forensics menu. What is nice about that tool is that you get to see the time domain and the frequency domain at the same time in proper time alignment.

Craig

Comment

Hi Again,

Another point worth mentioning is that the spectrograph is best viewed using the classic edit mode wherein the user can see both the time domain waveform(s) as well as the spectrograph at the same time. Classic Edit mode is enabled by turning off Fast Edit mode under the preferences menu.

Craig

Comment

Any suggestions as to not adding hiss in when you use the VVA? I always find it adds a bit of hiss.

Dan
                      Dan McDonald

Comment

You can check the box called "Hi Noise Mode" which will allow the system to "gate" the effect when the signal exceeds a certain threshold which can be set via the "detail" control when in that mode. The green "LED" will light when the VVA becomes active.

Craig
                        Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X