Spectral Filter for Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectral Filter for Music?

Has anyone had much experience in using the spectral filter for music applications? I am finding it helpful for a multi-generation flat transfer where it seems to provide a lot of 'high end energy' without increasing hiss, but maybe a little thin on the bass.

I'm using spectral difference mode, with another version of the song on a live, multigeneration tape as the source and the flat transfer as the target. I'm applying it without applying the NAB curve, just trying to make the sonic profiles match as closely as possible.

If anyone has used this kind of technique and has suggestions about fft size, etc, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-05-2019, 06:24 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Dan,

I tried using the spectral filter on an Edison cylinder recording. I had one copy with a "rough spot" on it with distortion and a "clean" copy. I was trying to remove the noise from the rough recording.

For me, it didn't work well. To be honest, I didn't put a lot of time into the work.

Marc

Comment

OK - thanks Marc. I'm puzzling through this.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

I think that the Spectral Filter Automatic Modes are more for frequency response normalization than noise or distortion reduction. Most of the applications that I am aware of are in the Forensics world with the spectral inverse mode. But, I also do know of some folks in the entertainment/movie business who use the spectral filter to match EQ's from one sample of audio to another. But, I do not know much about that.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig - I think a little goes a long way with that filter, so you have to be very careful in terms of how much you do with it.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

Yes, that filter has a dynamic range of up to around 140 dB! It can make corrections to the amplitude of signals within a given band up to around that value, so you really need to be careful with it.

Craig
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X