Suggestion: Merge source marker to destination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Merge source marker to destination

Would it be possible, in a future up-grade, to have the option to merge all source markers to destination automatically?

Once I assign markers to my source file, I always want them to appear in the destination file (sometimes I forget; than I have to go back and do the merge thing).

Hi Ringmaster -

That happens to me a lot and I found this workaround: After you save the destination as source, click the file off, go out of diamond cut and into the folder your files are in. Dlete the pkf of the new file, and then copy the pkf of the file that has the markers and rename it the name of the file that doesn't have the markers. Then go back into diamond cut and open that new file. You'll see the markers are there now. Just click 'quantize for cd' before you cut it.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hey Dan,

Will this cause the markers to drop down on all future rended processes? It's probably a small thing; but maybe it could be included in the next version, under the "Preferences". I would think that most people would "Lock" the Markers, because it is so easy to accidentally move the markers if they are not Locked.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster -

No, this just uses the old pkf file, so if you have run a filter, the markers match the same spots, but if you cut the file or delete anything, then it won't work right. And if you forget again, you'd need to do the pkf file again.

ONe way to avoid it is to run a multifilter with all the processes at one time. Then you have your original file and the restored file, so if you chop the wrong one, this saves some time.

The best way is to chop into tracks as the last thing, but, like you say, sometimes you decide afterwards or forget to do it.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Craig,

Could we consider fixing this in the next up-grade?

This whole marker thing really has me confused. The extreme left of the file, should be 01; this is the first track in the series (not 0). Each succeding track should be 02, 03, etc.

When we click on a Marker, no matter which one it is, that selected Marker Number should appear as the Marker selected in the "Marker Number" pop-up.

Another problem I have is, when we merge the source label to the destination file, the "Name of the Marker" should be included in the merge; also, it would be nice if the Label did not cover the Marker Number.

Also, as I mentioned before, when we mark the original file; or whichever sub-file we select to add Markers & Labels; it would be nice to have the Markers and Name of the Markers automatically merge with the "Destination".

I think this would be a more logical approach, and easier to use.

John

Comment

Since no one has responded, I am wondering if I am "out in left field". My other program allowed me to place Markers at the extreme left and the extreme right of the Wave File. I am working with a file that has 12 tracks. If I start with the first Marker as "0"; instead of "01", it gives me a total of 13 tracks. When I add the Track Name to a Marker, it covers up the Marker Number, and I can't tell what Marker I am working with. Maybe we could fix it, so that when the curser is placed on the track name, the Marker Number would be appear.

Comment

Hey Ringmaster -
              Sorry - I just don't work with the markers in the same way, so I don't have the experience/opinions about it. I usually just chop the file and give a base name, then t01, t02, etc.
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

Folks in the Forensics world often want to preserve markers in the source and destination files as separate entities. They do not want to loose that history. That is partly why it is the way that it is right now.

Craig
                "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I understand; however, since I have had problems in the past with my Track Numbers immediately preceding the Title, I'm a little reluctant to use the current labeling process (I tried, but something just didn't seem right).

Is there any chance we could have a Labeling just for Forensics, and another for DC8? I suspect it would not be easy, but I am trying to break away from my other system, and use DC8 Live/Forensics exclusively. And the Labeling currently in DC8 restoring recordings is really confusing, for Naming Markers.

John

John

Comment

Hi,

Maybe it is possible to make the behaviour of this feature a preference. I am not sure, but we can look into that for the future.

Craig
                    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
                    X