VOX recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOX recording

I have VOX recording checked, and, when the recording starts, the high-light does not change to "Recording". Does any one else have this problem? I an working with V8.13; and, this has always worked in previous versions.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 05:30 PM.

Hi,

You need to adjust the "Trip Level" (in dB) and the Min Duration (which is in seconds). Just as a wild guess, start with -40 dB and 1 sec.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Craig,

That didn't work; it's crazy, it has always worked on previous versions.

Comment

That didn't work; this is crazy, it has always worked in pevious versions. Do you remember what settings were used on Version 7?

Comment

Hi,

It really depends on the input signal level to your computers sound-card. I would experiment with many different values for the "Trip Level" until the VOX routine finds the signal entering the systems input.

Craig

ps - btw - what drivers are you using - - - MME or WDM? We recommend WDM if your system supports that. I think that most do these days.

Comment

Craig,

I am using the WDM Driver.

Comment

Craig,

I tried -40 and trip level and 1 second minimum duration, and it did not affect the Vox Waiting. To be honest with you, I really don't know too much about these settings. I don't know whether I should be increasing or decreasing the Trip Level. I have the
              "AudioFire4" I've increased the input volume level on my sound card, so the yellow LED's blink at a reasonable level; sometimes the red LED's blink, and that seems to ocurr when there is a click in the recording, and that doesn't help. Could you give me several different settings that I could try?

This really has me perplexed, because I have always used the software preset settings that were set when I installed all of my previous software, going back to DC 5 and even prior to that version.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? No one else has responded; I'm wondering if I'm the only person that uses the VOX feature.

Comment

Hi Ringmaster,

What happens if you set the threshold control to -100 dB? That should trip it to record all the time. Remember, you must hit the record button and have the VOX recording box checked. When it is waiting, it should light up in yellow "VOX Waiting" and then turn red when Recording.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

When I go to -100 to -85, the VOX RECORDING stays in the RECORDING in red mode; however, at -84 and under it shows VOX WAITING in yellow, but it does not go to recording when the stylus touches the record.

I am going to try settings from -84, -83 etc. to see if any of the settings below that kick it in to the RECORDING in red mode.

If I can't get any settings to jump to RECORDING, in red. I will uninstall DC8...Audio Laboratory, reinstall it and see if that works; does this seem logical?

Comment

Hi,

That symptom is pointing to a very low signal level in your system. Does the system perform a regular (non-VOX) recording ok? I do not think that re-installing it would help - - - what version of the software are you running? The latest is DC8.13. If you do not have that, and you have DC8.0 to 8.03, the goto www.diamondcut.com and download the demo after uninstalling the older version. That may help, but I am not sure.

Craig
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Craig,

I have DC8.13 installed on my system. No, it does not record when the VOX is unchecked; however, my earphones are connected to the output on my soundcard, and they play fine.

John

Comment

John,

So, it sounds like something is not set up correctly on your soundcard set-up menu. It seems that no signal is getting through to Diamond Cut. Is the soundcard preferences pointing to the soundcard that you are using, or maybe it is pointing to a different one?

Craig

Comment

Craig,

I suspect you are correct. I'll have to have my Son check it out....(When he feels like it).

Pheu!

Thanks,

John

Comment

Craig,

I am still having a problem with the "VOX" recording feature. Now, I have it set to -8 Trip Level, and 2 sec. duration.

My sound card is working fine. The problem I am presently experiencing is... When I am recording a record into Diamond Cut, the yellow VOX setting keeps jumping intermittantly from Red Record, to Yellow VOX waiting, while the record is recording to Diamond Cut.

I have tried many different "Trip Levels", and both 1 Second and 2 Second Duration. My problem is with the Settings, and I can't figure out what the optimum settings that I should be using. I never had any problem with the "VOX" operation, until I installed the upgrade to DC 8.13.

I suspect, since no other Forum members have jumped in on this, that they must not use the VOX feature; or, they are not experiencing the effect that I am experiencing.

What settings did we use on the previous version of DC8? What settings would you suggest I set for my VOX feature. I use this feature all of the time, because I can go do something else, and know that my recording will stop, when the tone arm lifts from the record.

I am sorry to bother you with this issue, but I am at my wits end, and it is driving me nuts.

Comment

Hi,

On my system, the VOX is set for -50 dB and 2 Seconds minimum duration. But, that does not mean much since every sound recording system will be different. It is noteworthy to say that the VOX was primarily designed for Surveillance recording and not primarily for record transfer. I can say that the Forensics folks use this feature regularly without problems, but we have less experience with it being used for record transfer. I can imagine that some records with quiet sectors could cause the VOX to enter into "waiting" mode if the dB threshold is not set correctly.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X