Time axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time axis

I notice that the time axis in traditional source-destination mode is not correct with 24-bit, 96kHz files. Is there a fix for that or a way to calculate the length of time based on file size, bit depth and sampling rate? It seems that may be something that should be calculable.

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Hi,

What version are you seeing it on? Anyway, under the display preferences, you can select Samples instead of time. Then, you can do a simple calculation based on that.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Dan,

I just looked at a 24/96 file in DC8 and it looked ok here. What do you see when you use "make waves"? Are the files that you are using created by Diamond Cut?

Craig

Comment

Hi Again,

Dan, is it possible that your recorder put an error in the file header?

Craig

Comment

hmm. Maybe so. I can check that with make waves. I have seen it before and thought it was normal.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Yes, make waves produces the right time at the bottom. It may be the file headers. Although when I run the filter on the file, the new file retains the old time markers. Shouldn't the new file have new headers or does it just copy those?

If I select a subset of the file and past it as a new file, the time is correct.
            Last edited by Dan McDonald; 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM.
            Dan McDonald

Comment

hmmm - here is an idea - if you re-build the peak file (view menu), that may fix the error - not sure. Maybe give that a try.

Craig

Comment

Hey Craig -

No, that doesn't change it. It's not a big deal - I am guessing something in the recorder is off on the time. I'll check the TASCAM website and see if it's an error there.
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

Using the Forensics Version, under the Edit Menu, is a feature called File Information. Part of that feature includes a Wave Header Editor. You may be able to use that to correct errors in that regard.

Craig

Comment

OK - thanks Craig.
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

Interesting -
                      I hadn't looked at that before. That information is correct, but it doesn't match the time axis. In this case, it says 62 minutes but the time axis says 3 hours 20 minutes.
                      Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan

Do recordings made with that sampe rate and resolution by the Diamond Cut Software appear ok with regards the time axis?

Craig

Comment

Hey Craig -

Yes, they do, but they are short files created with Make Waves. I will see if files created with my other handheld recorder do the same thing, and, if so, I will just record a long file with DC8 to see what it does.
                          Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
                          X