Punch and Crunch Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punch and Crunch Settings

I have been using the Punch and Crunch filter in Expander mode to add more "meat" to some thin sounding 78's.

Back under DC5/6 times, there was a posting about how sensitive the ratio setting is and if different attack times could be used for different frequencies as a way to make the effect not as sensitive ?

I didn't fine any resolution to the question, and if possible, some insight to the use of this effect would be helpful.

I find that a setting of 1.1 works, but just moving to 1.2 can have a large effect.

Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-25-2019, 08:29 PM.

Hi -

The ratio setting is on a log scale. So, depending on the material and other settings, small changes in ratio can produce large effects in the resultant sound.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-25-2019, 08:29 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

This quote from DJBohn was posted back awhile...what do you think ?

"A while back, someone made a comment about the punch side of the Punch & Crunch tool being too noticeable even when set at Very Light Expansion. I tried looking back in the threads but didn't run across it. I had been thinking about it though, as I have run into the same effect as well. It reminded me of an article I read several years ago concerning multi-band expander operation, back when they were becoming popular in analog machines. One of the things they commented on was through listening tests they found that multi-band expanders seemed much more subtle and natural sounding if the decay time (or rise & decay - don't remember which) were slowed down in the bass band, gradually getting faster in the remaining bands, while having the fastest time constants in the high treble band only. Got to thinking that they may have run into a similar problem nearly 30 years ago! Just thought this might be something worth looking into for a future DC upgrade...

Marc

Comment

Marc,

I am not positive, but I vaguely recall that the attack and release times may have a slight slope, meaining that each band has a slightly different time constant despite the settings. The attack and release setting may be based on the mid-band, with the lower frequency bands being slower than the setting and conversely, the higher frequency bands being faster. But, I am stretching my memory and I may be wrong. We may have to look at the code to see at this point in time. Will ask Rick if he remembers.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Marc, Craig
          The P&C attack and release times do have a tilt to them so higher frequencies are scaled to be faster than lower frequencies.

I don't remember how exhaustivly we testing the scaling so who knows, there may be room for improvement.
          Rick

Comment

Working...
          X