Decca phase 4 stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decca phase 4 stereo

hello everyone, I have come across a couple of these phase 4 records, my question is do you treat these the same as ordinary stereo records because they sound totally different from stereo, the sound seems to follow you round the room.

Hi,

Decca's phase 4 recordings were a form of what some of refer to as "Ping-Pong" stereo. Several record companies played with this technique in the early 1960s (including the "Command" label). To make these recordings, the left and right channel master signals information were totally isolated from each other, and they were recorded in multi-track recording studios having many input channels. Each instrument occupied its own multitrack input channel. The creation of the 2-track master involved playing around with the "pan" controls on the board which gave the illusion that the instruments were moving around the room.

Put another way, it took the idea of stereo separation to its maximum limit using artificial methods.

Personally, I find these recording to be quite un-natural in sound. In terms of cleaning them, up, use the standard techniques; there is nothing special about the "stereo cut" itself - - - just the way that the material was separated between the channels.

When I encounter these, I use the Diamond Cut "Channel Blender" effect (at the end of the restoration process) to reduce the total separation between the channels. This achieves a much more natural balanced sounding result. Generally, I set the two controls for around 40 percent to achieve a good result. But, that is a matter of personal taste, so experiment with the controls until you achieve a more natural result (unless you enjoy the "ping-pong" effect on the original recording).

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thank's Craig, My wife says the record sounded awful after it had been cleaned and i have to agree, you seem to be following the sound round the room, quite right -not natural. I used the channel blender as you suggested. the record is now totally different and for Ted Heath & his Band very good. But I have also found another decca phase 4 with a steam loco noise and that sounds better with the phase 4 and that sounds better as recorded. funny world eh? Thank you for your help - Rog

Comment

Yes, I guess it is going to be highly dependent on the material. And sometimes special effects like that may be desireable. I seem to recall that early Pink Floyd concerts "spun" the music around the venue (ring modulator?) and concert-goers loved it.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X