Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackle Time

Group,

My songs contain many 78 records that have a lot of brass sounds in them; trumpets and such. While removing the noise impulses, I have used the EZImpulse Filter with moderate settings for scratch, crackle, and narrow crackle. For example, the settings are always below 50 and often around 40 and the solo/brass box is checked.

In the past, I have found that if the settings were too high, then they would introduce extra noise during the loud brass parts, so I have kept the settings around the 40 level with good results.

Lately, I have been checking some of the songs that have a "buzzy" sound during a loud brass part of the song. I have previously thought that the distortion was due to the worn out records...but...I found that the amount of "buzz" during the loud part of the song could be reduced by setting the crackle setting to a very low value (18 or less).

Note: The distortion seems to have been increased by the EZImpulse filter or to put it another way, the "crackle" part of the filter can be picking up a brass sound and thinking that its noise. Also, the songs do have some "buzz" in them, its just that a moderate setting of the crackle setting will increase the buzz at times.

For the bulk of my songs, I find that the scratch and narrow crackle filters remove the noise the best and that the crackle one is best to leave at a low setting.

Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM.

Hi Marc,

I remember that you do flat transfers. One question. Do you apply the proper turnover frequency (via the Virtual Phono Preamp) before or after the Impulse removal? I have heard that people sometimes do it one order while others do it in the opposite order.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Craig,

Currently, I have been using the EzImpulse After the use of the Virtual Phono Preamp. For the 78's, I have been using the american 78 curve.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

Yes, that is what I do too. As I recall, the American 78 setting in the VPP is 500 Hz.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X